New LED turn signals not flashing while headlights are on

WesFischer05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
As the title says I just put new LED's in my 1981 El Camino and I have also installed the new LED flashers so they blink at a normal speed with the headlights off but as soon as I turn the the headlights on the do not flash and are just solid. I have researched a little but can't find any smoking gun problem solves but before I stress too much about it I wanted to ask you guys to see if maybe anyone knows something I missed or a place to start, thank you!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Had that happen when I went to LED bulbs on my non G-Body Gee10. Found that with the lignts on and ignition off, no blinkee. Turn the engine on, and Voila! winkin' and blinkin' work like normal. I thought at the time it was the flasher module but it made no sense to me that a simple bulb change would scramble the module like that.

You might want to check me on this but I seem to recall that the LED's have a different resistance value, lower/higher/? It did get mentioned that I might have to add a resistor into the turn signal circuit to make the bulbs play nice like they ought to. As they do work for me for what I need, adding that resistor never happened so moot but a possibility for you to consider.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

WesFischer05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
Had that happen when I went to LED bulbs on my non G-Body Gee10. Found that with the lignts on and ignition off, no blinkee. Turn the engine on, and Voila! winkin' and blinkin' work like normal. I thought at the time it was the flasher module but it made no sense to me that a simple bulb change would scramble the module like that.

You might want to check me on this but I seem to recall that the LED's have a different resistance value, lower/higher/? It did get mentioned that I might have to add a resistor into the turn signal circuit to make the bulbs play nice like they ought to. As they do work for me for what I need, adding that resistor never happened so moot but a possibility for you to consider.

Nick
Awesome thank you for the reply, same situation as you with the resistors but currently I’m swapping the engine so it doesn’t run but it will soon! So that will be my next check once I can make it run and see if it works while running

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
We're stock bulbs 1157 dual filament or 1156 single filament?

Some how you are getting positive voltage across the led when the headlights come on so do the parking/running lights. If this is a paired socket it's bleeding over to the other side of the led that should be electrically isolated.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I put leds in the instrument panel and my turn signals indicator stayed on and would flash normally. Took out the leds, all's fine!

WesFischer05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2023
Phoenix, Arizona
We're stock bulbs 1157 dual filament or 1156 single filament?

Some how you are getting positive voltage across the led when the headlights come on so do the parking/running lights. If this is a paired socket it's bleeding over to the other side of the led that should be electrically isolated.
I believe dual filament, before the leds when the headlights would turn on the parking lights were also on, all at once. Then of course they would blink when I put the signals on

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor