Heater, A/C fan doesn't work, it was disconnected, need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I recently swapped my engine and left the A/C parts off as they didn't work anyway. Now my fan doesn't work and its cold out. The heater is fine, just not blowing air into the car and its too cold to drive the car. I see that there is an electrical connection above the heater core box that looks like it attaches to the fan and that it was connected to some of my A/C parts. Since not all cars had A/C I'm guessing there is a connector I can buy from somewhere and this should be a simple fix. The fan was working before the swap so I know it works. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks
Steven

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
There is a relay and a resistor block for the fan motor. The wire to the motor comes out of the relay connector. There should be four connectors one single terminal and the press on connector is round +12V to the blower motor, five connector one to the relay and a four connector one to the resistor block. A single connector one in a square connector is the ground.

RY-20_Front__ra_p.jpg

1712680-1__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
There is a relay and a resistor block for the fan motor. The wire to the motor comes out of the relay connector. There should be four connectors one single terminal and the press on connector is round +12V to the blower motor, five connector one to the relay and a four connector one to the resistor block. A single connector one in a square connector is the ground.
I appreciate the feedback but I'm not sure what to do. I have the following round connection off the fan, and by the intake a found a square connector. The photos of the connectors you posted, I'mm not sure what to do with. Are you saying I need to find these connectors also? After I do, then what?

Attachments

• IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

gp471

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2022
I appreciate the feedback but I'm not sure what to do. I have the following round connection off the fan, and by the intake a found a square connector. The photos of the connectors you posted, I'mm not sure what to do with. Are you saying I need to find these connectors also? After I do, then what?
picture 1 is the low preasure cycle switch goes to ac clutch.the third pic is the power connector to the blower relay,needed for high blower.the other speed power comes from control head the switch.check that the ground to the blower has not been disturbed and the heater fuse is not blown.a test light would be helpful.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The round connector in your hand is the A/C pressure switch connector.

Looks like everything is there, SO first things to check is for voltage and ground.

The ground on the blower motor goes into the harness that goes thru the firewall under the dash on the passenger side it is screwed on to the dash metal frame. Has the dash been out recently? Easy to miss this wire.

On the relay there is a 12Ga red or pink wire that is +12V input make sure +12V is present.

First check the A/C fuse.
From the HVAC control on the dash there are:

Orange - HI (edited to add on your picture the resistor block does not have an orange wire it appears the HI is the dark blue, the high wire is a bigger gauge wire than the others)
Yellow - Low
Light blue - Med
They go to the resistor array.

Check the voltage on these with the switch in the appropriate position.
Pretty sure if the resistor block fails HI will still work the others wont.

Blower motor.jpg

Not sure what that other square 4 pin connector is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
The round connector in your hand is the A/C pressure switch connector.

Looks like everything is there, SO first things to check is for voltage and ground.

The ground on the blower motor goes into the harness that goes thru the firewall under the dash on the passenger side it is screwed on to the dash metal frame. Has the dash been out recently? Easy to miss this wire.

On the relay there is a 12Ga red or pink wire that is +12V input make sure +12V is present.

First check the A/C fuse.
From the HVAC control on the dash there are:

Orange - HI (edited to add on your picture the resistor block does not have an orange wire it appears the HI is the dark blue, the high wire is a bigger gauge wire than the others)
Yellow - Low
Light blue - Med
They go to the resistor array.

Check the voltage on these with the switch in the appropriate position.
Pretty sure if the resistor block fails HI will still work the others wont.

Not sure what that other square 4 pin connector is.
Thank you. This is awesome. I'll take another look today, it will hit 50 deg so I may even take it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor