Heater core issue

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Hi guys. So im replacing the heater core in my 86 MCSS. I finally got the heater box top section off. Trying to pull the old heater core out. It's holding pretty tough. Is there something else i need to do. I did one of these before on an 80 Malibu i had. Everything came apart easy. I don't think there's anything holding it in. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
A few years ago, I rebuilt the HVAC box on my 87 El Camino but can't remember exactly whether was something holding the heater core. There are several good videos on YouTube that may be helpful to identify what is causing yours to not come out. Also, it may just be stuck to the case by some sealant and other debris that has migrated to the bottom.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Takes longer to get to it than to get it out. There should be a retainer bolt and clip right on top of the heater core if memory serves. Also holds the ground strap. Need to remove that junk and the heater core SHOULD come loose. Pull straight up. There's a clip or something at the bottom but the core just sits in it. Sometimes junk and stuff gets in there and sticks it so you may need to jiggle it some, but it's pretty straightforward. It was for me, anyway. Of course, I'm relying on memory, so look the f**k out. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
When I did mine there was a small strip of weather seal between the top rear of the radiator and the box. I had to pry it a little bit to loosen it. Pulls straight up.

Attachments

• Evaporator, Heater Core (7).jpg
    Evaporator, Heater Core (7).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 53

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Hi guys. So im replacing the heater core in my 86 MCSS. I finally got the heater box top section off. Trying to pull the old heater core out. It's holding pretty tough. Is there something else i need to do. I did one of these before on an 80 Malibu i had. Everything came apart easy. I don't think there's anything holding it in. Please let me know if there's something I'm missing.
I got it out of there. It was just stuck in the lower bracket. It's out now. Thanks

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
For anyone replacing the heater core. If ( and it does happen!) you get it all together and it sounds like a steam whistle when you use it, they make a insert to put in the hose and slow the coolant and stop the noise. Some of the factory cars actually came with them. Can’t remember the reason it happens, but it’s very annoying and loud. If I remember correctly ( and that’s iffy at my age) it goes in the 5/8” line. It may not happen as much with the plastic and aluminum replacement parts that are used now.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor