Heater Halp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
Well i tried to remove all the bolts, screws and whatever else may have been holding it on but it still doesnt want to come out. It seems its getting caught on the valve cover? Any other way to rip, pull, smash this thing out of there w/o completly breaking it or do i have to take off the valve cover :(

Seems to be getting caught there

dscn6518.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Double check. Some of the screws are tough to get at and hard to see. Might be some sealer hiding them too.

Tek86

n00b
Jul 19, 2009
I think this applies to all G bodies, but not sure.There are 4 bolts, and 12 screws holding the cover in place.

-first remove the screws retaining the chrome trim at the bottom of windshield, then remove the wiper arms and the hood seal.
-remove the screws retaining the leaf screen, and the nuts retaining the brackets.

At this point you should see the 4 bolts holding the cover to the firewall. Make sure to remove all 12 screws holding the cover. Then pull the cover straight up, towards the front of engine. Let me know if this helps. 8)

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
Tek86 said:
I think this applies to all G bodies, but not sure.There are 4 bolts, and 12 screws holding the cover in place.

-first remove the screws retaining the chrome trim at the bottom of windshield, then remove the wiper arms and the hood seal.
-remove the screws retaining the leaf screen, and the nuts retaining the brackets.

At this point you should see the 4 bolts holding the cover to the firewall. Make sure to remove all 12 screws holding the cover. Then pull the cover straight up, towards the front of engine. Let me know if this helps. 8)

Sounds like it should! I will give it a whirl 2marrow, only thing i did not do was take the crom trim off, and it did seem to hit that in a few spots, but i wasnt sure if it was as big an issue. Thanks alot :)

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
there are screws INSIDE housing that are hard to see/get at. Trust me DO NOT tug on it .... I found out the hard way that sh*t is BRITTLE.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
heh yeah i was yanking quit hard, didnt break anything yet >.> I left it onscrewed and will finish it up 2marrow, theres now bolts on the bottom of the thing is there?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
That's natures way of telling you not to take out your heater!

I ran no heat in my 442 for two summers when it had the Chevy 350 in it, and it sucked balls.

Trust me, you're gonna regret removing it...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The heater box is held on with bolts all around it, top, bottom, sides, and from the inside. You will need to remove the screen on the top to get to some of them, and may have to pull the fender and wheelwell liner to get to some of them too.

SnoPro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2009
Elk River MN
Blake442 said:
That's natures way of telling you not to take out your heater!

I ran no heat in my 442 for two summers when it had the Chevy 350 in it, and it sucked balls.

Trust me, you're gonna regret removing it...

I dont have heat atm anyway, so its just sitting there taking up sooo much space and i think it looks like sh*t. If it worked i wouldnt want to remove it, but i dont feel like going threw everything and making it work :( We'll see! I guess i would rather have heat/ac but i think ripping it out would be easier lol

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
once the lid is off .... there is nothing to replacing the heater core ..... even if you replaced the core, the control valve, hoses and blower motor .... you have less labor involved than removing the box entirely and fabricating a filler and you are out what maybe $50 in parts? But to each their own. I live in Missouri, no way in hell could I live without heat/defrost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor