Hello from Miami Fl. New to olds. family

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
1986 cutlass supreme brougham v8 5.0 stock I don't know if its a 305 - 307 it started acting up yesterday I turned on the car & it started shaking & sounded like a diesel car coming out the muffler almost stalling it sounds like it might be a vacuum prob but not sure its never done this also rpm gage was going up & down fast

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
welcome! I had a smilar issue to yours in the past and it turned out to be burned up plugs and wires (someone thought regular grade gas would be okay), might be a good place to start. are you getting any check engine lights?

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
not sure if service light works but the car was runing fine now it sounds bad & shaks real bad i think im going to just change wires & plugs like you say & maybe destributer also see what happens Thanks i found out its a 307 olds

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
welcome as well. i know its a little late, but better latethan never :rofl: . i notice w2e seem to have alot of florida members here, im thinking of starting a florida mambers thread. im over on the other coast, just south of sarasota.
oh yeah, and welcome to the ols family, im an olds guy to. '80 cutty here.

WilliEGooN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 8, 2012
lesbaldridge said:
welcome as well. i know its a little late, but better latethan never :rofl: . i notice w2e seem to have alot of florida members here, im thinking of starting a florida mambers thread. im over on the other coast, just south of sarasota.

Thanks allot! & Yes im new to the olds fam. My grandfather had one when I was young "80's Baby" so when I found her I knew I had to get it. She was running good, But started acting up. it shakes tries to stall & starts sounding like a diesel engine when I listing to muffler & smokes a lil when I throttle... I Completely tuned her up rotor, cap, coil, wires & plugs but still acting up. Not sure what's going on but ill always take good advice! Also im super interested in the S. Fla thread feel free to keep me posted...

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
The two areas of interest will be the timing , or the head gasket. On my sbo 350 my cap is lined up with #8 on my intake! When I get off work ill try snap a pic for you, as reference.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
WilliEGooN said:
lesbaldridge said:

Thanks allot! & Yes im new to the olds fam. My grandfather had one when I was young "80's Baby" so when I found her I knew I had to get it. She was running good, But started acting up. it shakes tries to stall & starts sounding like a diesel engine when I listing to muffler & smokes a lil when I throttle... I Completely tuned her up rotor, cap, coil, wires & plugs but still acting up. Not sure what's going on but ill always take good advice! Also im super interested in the S. Fla thread feel free to keep me posted...

thats awesome man. heres a link to the florida thread i started yesterday viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37660&p=320325#p320325 , it seems to be taking off already. swing by and say hi.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
WilliEGooN,
Welcome to the site!
If you've tuned it up to spec's (as you've stated), and this problem just started all at once, I'd start checking ALL your vacuum hoses (as you stated in your first post?). Old hoses can look good and be bad (leak). Check them for small cracking by bending them sharply and check the entire length of each hose (remember, this checking is free!). Over the years I've had good luck locating "most" vacuum leaks using a three foot length of CLEAN/UNUSED fuel hose. I put some cotton in my bad ear, hold one end of the hose up to my good ear and use the other end to go slowly around the carb base gasket, the power brake check valve, egr valve, and then slowly check each vacuum hose. Listen for a hissing sound! While checking the hoses, also check all plastic hose barbs (such as where the hoses mount on the charcoal cannister, etc.)
Remember, this checking will only cost you some time (unless you need to buy the hose and/or cotton...LOL)!

Doug

lyndon

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2011
kansas city area
Same thing happened tome too. Bought new plugs wires and all that,then come to find out my cam lobes were worn out. Not saying that's ur prob but something to consider

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
lyndon said:
Same thing happened tome too. Bought new plugs wires and all that,then come to find out my cam lobes were worn out. Not saying that's ur prob but something to consider

that sucks. a few years ago my mud truck started running doggy. plyayed with the fuel pump, timing, carb , everything. eventually figured out the lobe on my cam that ran my mechanical fuel pump was wore down and was just pushing the rod just enough to keep it running barely, but try to give it some gas and it couldnt keep up. finally figured it out after me and every friend i knew with some mechanical aptitude spent a week scratching our heads and cussing..LOL. ( and swapping a lot of parts and tuning this and that )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor