Hello from Minneapolis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN.cruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Hey everybody!

My dad and I just picked up our first project car. We are pretty casual car guys, so we needed a project that we could drive and enjoy while we occasionally upgrade as time/budget allows. Last year my dad scored this 78 El Camino so here we go! New wheels and tires right away, everything else is pretty much how we got it. previous owner dropped a running 350 in it...... thats about the best thing we can say about it.

The "new" motor is on a stand and ready to install in the spring. It's a 350 we bought with light use from a guy with a cherry 73 monte carlo and he just really wanted a stroker. so we got a 350 bored 5 over and built properly by someone who knew what they were doing. He said it put 375 HP to the rear wheels. Plenty for us to get started and enjoy while we work on the rest of the car.

The good: VERY little rust. all body panels are in good shape. runs, drives, 4 speed, new exhaust from previous owner, glass is all in good shape. the paint is even ok on most of the car.

The bad: interior is trashed as this car sat in Texas for years. The original car had a v6, so the front suspension is super squishy with a v8 in there. the current motor is a turd but we will be addressing that soon.

our plans: This is not a race car! I have zero interest in making this a drag car. We want something that is fun to drive, looks good, maybe a few car shows, and lots of weekend cruising. re-do the interior, maybe some bucket seats, new stereo, new dash, probably something mean looking for the grille and front bumper. also insulating the floor and doors to cut down on some of the road noise and rattles.

I would love your ideas for getting this done on a reasonable budget! I have read some things about using late model spindles for brake upgrades, the front will need a stiffer suspension, and the dash and guages will need to be replaced. Looking forward to this project!

-Tony

Attachments

• el camino new wheels.jpg
    el camino new wheels.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 4 users

MN.cruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Heres the power plant we'll be putting in this spring. We bought it 2nd hand from the guy that built it. His car and shop were immaculate and he really seemed to know his stuff. He gave us the carb, his old headers and everything you see here to get us started. Its a 350 that was bored slightly before being completely rebuilt. For now we are just going to install it and get it running. Possible upgrades in the future but nothing crazy. As is sits the tall manifold and air cleaner might not fit under the hood, so we might have to change that out or look for a cowl hood.

Attachments

• el camino motor.jpg
    el camino motor.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome to the site, Tony.
Thanks for the introduction and sharing the pics. The car looks great with the new wheels. It sounds like you have some nice plans in store for it.
Keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure you'll glean some good information on the forum.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Great looking car and great score on the motor. The Blazer front brake upgrade is popular. It uses 2wd (important) circa 2000 Blazer spindles and brakes. It gives you a slightly larger diameter rotor and a much longer brake pad (longer swept area). Also, the calipers are dual piston. It's a great budget big brake upgrade. Moog springs are a budget friendly way to go to firm up the front end. You just need to decide how firm you like and where you want the ride height. You may have to trim them to dial in the height. Here are a few helpful threads.....

Blazer brake upgrade....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/98-05-blazer-brake-upgrade-done.35747/

Moog springs......
http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

Here is a link to my build thread where I rebuilt my front end and did the Blazer brake swap. I go to some detail on what parts I selected and why.....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/space-city-1982-gp-build.55501/page-5

• Informative

MN.cruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Welcome to the site from Houston. Great looking car and great score on the motor. The Blazer front brake upgrade is popular. It uses 2wd (important) circa 2000 Blazer spindles and brakes. It gives you a slightly larger diameter rotor and a much longer brake pad (longer swept area). Also, the calipers are dual piston. It's a great budget big brake upgrade. Moog springs are a budget friendly way to go to firm up the front end. You just need to decide how firm you like and where you want the ride height. You may have to trim them to dial in the height. Here are a few helpful threads.....

Blazer brake upgrade....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/98-05-blazer-brake-upgrade-done.35747/

Moog springs......
http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

Here is a link to my build thread where I rebuilt my front end and did the Blazer brake swap. I go to some detail on what parts I selected and why.....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/space-city-1982-gp-build.55501/page-5

this is great info thank you! I have heard of the blazer brake swap. Can you use the same master cylinder? What about wheels? we have 17's so i think we would be ok.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
this is great info thank you! I have heard of the blazer brake swap. Can you use the same master cylinder? What about wheels? we have 17's so i think we would be ok.
I've also done the Blazer brake upgrade. You can use the same master cylinder. As far as wheels are concerned, you're perfectly fine with 17" wheels....I'm still running 15's.
You can upgrade to larger rotors using a bracket kit to move the calipers outward to accommodate the larger rotors.

Jared has provided links to some good information.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Coolio, welcome from Des Moines!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor