Help adjusting a hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
Can you ask about my Cutlass 86 442 W-30 Hood if is not a problem since you going to VFN.
Thanks in advance
Not going to make it. Totally forgot my buddy is having an open house/dyno day at his shop tomorrow.
I'm supposed to help him out between 9a-3p. Might shoot over to VFN during the week if I dont have it figured out by then.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
I have almost the same problem I just got my W-30 Hood from VFN and switch the Hoods in my 442 fit pretty good but had to move the latch that close the hood but in the middle of the hood it's raise bout 1/2 inch does any body purchase this same hood from VFN and had to adjust it to fit perfect.

View attachment 65991 View attachment 65992

That looks more like the first issue I was having and Boxcars helped me out.
Did you try loosening the hinge on the fender and lowering the hinge?
It has about a 1/2" of adjustment on the hinge where it sits on the fender

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
First pic is of the bumper assembly (obviously)

Second pic is of locked position (bumper removed for clarity)

Third pic is of unlocked position (bumper removed for clarity)

You will unlock clip by turning approx 1/3 turn anti-clockwise, adjust height, then lock again by turning back to original position. I find a small pair of channelock type pliers work well for this.

SAM_1689.JPG SAM_1691.JPG SAM_1690.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
That looks more like the first issue I was having and Boxcars helped me out.
Did you try loosening the hinge on the fender and lowering the hinge?
It has about a 1/2" of adjustment on the hinge where it sits on the fender
No I haven't how can I lower them while the hood is bolted on?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
No I haven't how can I lower them while the hood is bolted on?

Just loosen the two lower hinge bolts that go into the fender. If there is any down adjustment, it should drop down.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
Well my problem is solved. At my buddies open house there was an old timer there that was a body man for 30+ years. He took one look and said it's a common issue with steel hoods. He said when they sit overtime they develop a minor warp issue that's not noticeable to the naked eye. He found a foot long piece of 2 x 4 in my buddies shop. Put it next to the latch under the hood, closed the hood till it sat on the 2 x 4. Then him and I pushed down on opposite sides of the hood up front. Checked it, still needed a little more. Did it one more time and it's now perfect. Said he has done that to 1000's of hoods

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well my problem is solved. At my buddies open house there was an old timer there that was a body man for 30+ years. He took one look and said it's a common issue with steel hoods. He said when they sit overtime they develop a minor warp issue that's not noticeable to the naked eye. He found a foot long piece of 2 x 4 in my buddies shop. Put it next to the latch under the hood, closed the hood till it sat on the 2 x 4. Then him and I pushed down on opposite sides of the hood up front. Checked it, still needed a little more. Did it one more time and it's now perfect. Said he has done that to 1000's of hoods
All this hemmin and hawin....
:worthless:

I'm sure others wanna see it installed.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
piece of 2 x 4 in my buddies shop. Put it next to the latch under the hood, closed the hood till it sat on the 2 x 4. Then him and I pushed down on opposite sides of the hood up front. Checked it, still needed a little more. Did it one more time and it's now perfect. Said he has done that to 1000's of hoods

We still do it, often.

All cars need a little tweaking, even new ones with new OE parts. None of this stuff just falls on and lines up perfectly...too many variables in dies, multiple stamping plants, transportation/handling, mishandling at the distributor and at the shop

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

that works on a metal hood but you can't twist a fiberglass hood to fix it. Plus you said it was sitting fine before you adjusted the hinges...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor