Help adjusting a hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
View attachment 67403 View attachment 67404 View attachment 67405 View attachment 67406 View attachment 67407
Some what I have it on I loosened the front clip and got it all lined up but I found when I drive the car it heats up and warps so I thinking I'm going to solve that with hood pins I also modified the hood hinge spring

How you get spring on there,I couldn't put it on mine and the hinges are they easy to take off when they off what do I do to make the middle and back stay flush since it staying up? You add the screw in middle?

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
The hood spring I made my self I used a stepped expansion plug from the hardware store marked the location of the spring then drilled a 1/4 hole through that area I used a bolt a fender washer through the hood through the plug then the right size washer and nut so when you tightened it expands then found a spring to fit over the plug and a plastic cap to fit over the other end of the spring so you place the spring on the plug tighten the plug that holds the spring the put the cap on and your done costs about 9.00 the second question I'm not sure what you asking I just pulled the spring part of the hinge off then removed the spring and cut a new slot so the springs dident have so much tension just enough to hook the hood up

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
The hood spring I made my self I used a stepped expansion plug from the hardware store marked the location of the spring then drilled a 1/4 hole through that area I used a bolt a fender washer through the hood through the plug then the right size washer and nut so when you tightened it expands then found a spring to fit over the plug and a plastic cap to fit over the other end of the spring so you place the spring on the plug tighten the plug that holds the spring the put the cap on and your done costs about 9.00 the second question I'm not sure what you asking I just pulled the spring part of the hinge off then removed the spring and cut a new slot so the springs dident have so much tension just enough to hook the hood up

So basically you just made the hinge tighter and shorter to make less tension and another question can I take it off while my hood is raised up with out falling down and what did you used to make it to less tension?

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I dident do anything to the hinge just the spring part I removed tension because the hood is lighter I had the hood proped up and just removed one spring assembly at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor