Help at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonseeker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2009
Stock carb been rebuilt 4 times by a carb shop, and then a friend gave me his off his 83 Hurst Olds and that one was rebuilt also at another carb shop. Still the same problem I am having now. He switched his out to an Elderbrock intake and 1406 carb and his problems went away. Now in hindsight I would have been money ahead to go that route also! But I wanted to keep it stock.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Rebuilt does NOT mean rebuilt correctly, especially when dealing with something not many people are knowledgable in. A carb should never need to be rebuilt over and over again unless it was botched the previous time before. It needs to be rebuilt once by someone who knows electronic Qjets and then properly tuned once by someone who knows electronic Qjets. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on neither of those two things being done correctly. Getting a GM service manual and going through everything step by step if you truely want to fix your problem is the best advice I can give.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I gotta agree with Double V on this one. To change an engine because of tuning problems is beyond stupid. I understand it gets frustrating but switching the engine wont do anything but set you further behind and then you just ruined a nice H/O wity another chevy.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
x3 DoubleV isn't telling any lies. It doesn't hurt to walk away for a while regroup and take your time to solve the problem. Not only will you figure out the solution, but you will have educated yourself on how these systems work. Having that knowledge is worth more than anything. Anyone can pull an engine and replace it. Its not worth it over this problem. Oh and by the way an Olds engine is definitely an easier swap than the chevy. The olds will drop right on the 307 mounts, all the accesories interchange, and it'll look semi factory. 8)

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
If it were me, Id bite the bullet and buy a correct remanufactured carb from a reliable rebuilder who has the credentials to guarantee his work. H/O's are worth it.... 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bill said:
If it were me, Id bite the bullet and buy a correct remanufactured carb from a reliable rebuilder who has the credentials to guarantee his work. H/O's are worth it.... 8)

x2

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
Had the same issue with the 307 and it was a series of issues.

Choke was disconnected, The starter was getting hot and the cables were melted due to the headers and the engine being hot.. so i got everything new and a heat shield and thicker battery cables with better connectors

I had a 1406 edlebrock while having this issue

First check everything else.. then pull the carb off and have someone clean it out and tune it before putting it back on.. or find a spare to throw on there just to see if there is any difference

I wound up spinning a bearing and you dont want to do that. with dumping fuel as you mentioned it might happen

ultimately it was the choke that did everything in in the end. :blam:

Also I swapped from a 307 to a 350 OLDS not chevy.. costly but not as costly as a chevy swap.

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
I dont know about there, but here we have ethanol added to our gas. If you have the same thing then I would look closely at the carb as ethanol eats up the old style seals, gaskets and the accelerator pump. I rebuilt the carb on the 87 because the accelerator pump was eaten up. Once it was rebuilt with the new seals it ran like new again. The new viton seals are not effected by the gas. There are still tons of kits out there with the old syle seal in them. I think you may find the the accelerator pump is failing. I would replace it with a viton accelerator pump and see if that helps.
Just an old mans thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor