Help! Car stripped, planning the restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
first off I'm not new to auto paint having just finished off my first attempt but looking back I think I wasted a lot of money doing it. So here I am again with a car stripped in the garage waiting its turn, this time I'm trying to make a better plan off the bat to save some time and money without cutting corners in the wrong places.

My last paint job (and first) was a complete restoration and I focused on my prep and longevity of the final paint job. This included removing every nut and bolt and breaking down parts to individual components before sanding to bare steel in most places and applying an epoxy sealer followed by filler / high build then the base and clear. Id even gone as far as stripping the interior of the doors, fenders, side mirrors with the intentions of giving this old car a new lease on life. I was very pleased with the final outcome but I don't have a compressor with enough capacity to support a DA sander so this was all done by hand.

looking back there wasn't much point in stripping the entire car to bare steel I just fell pray to the newby mentality that I have to start from scratch and I really didn't need to use the same high metallic paint on the interior side of the doors, fenders and interior of the car when a flat paint of the same shade would have done just as well or even a single stage to save some time as well.

So this time around I was curious what can be done to save some time and money?

Im committed to the same level of restoration on this one stripping to individual components but I know I'm slow with filler and flattening panels so I don't plan to scrape it down to bare steel needlessly every where but block sand to the original sealer to ensure its flat and adhering well then shoot an epoxy sealer and start with much flatter panels off the hop. Obviously if it needs more it will get more.

What paint and where? is rustoleum okay for the interior of the car?
single stage on engine bay, door interiors and underside, chassis?
bedliner for the underside possibly?

My last car took me a year and about 1200 hours. Id really like to cut this in half, how are you pros doing it?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think you wasted your money the first attempt, an education always cost something and you can't put a price on the knowledge you have gained. I stripped my car the bare metal to remove the weight of all the old paint and to see what the metal was really like. It's too bad you don't have a compressor to help you out but I did most of my car by hand and a block. The link below is to a forum that has experienced guys and they can help you but don't ever ask them what shortcuts you can take. They like to see the projects done properly.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If it was originally lacquer, and most were, you need to get it off if you're going to do it right. Not a matter of if it will fail, it's when it will fail.

None of the major paint manufacturers recommend refinishing over lacquer, even with a sealer applied.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
1200hours? Waste? No, that is a job you can take pride in.

I'm planning a frame off and down to bare steel and start from scratch. I've been following the Hands On Cars that is on the eastwood youtube channel. Picking up bits and pieces of information.

• Agree

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
1200hours? Waste? No, that is a job you can take pride in.

I'm planning a frame off and down to bare steel and start from scratch. I've been following the Hands On Cars that is on the eastwood youtube channel. Picking up bits and pieces of information.

I have watched the Hands on Cars mini series a half dozen times and its been an incredible help to someone like myself thats new to paint work. I would highly recomend it if you have the time to watch them

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I don't really have anything to add but I dig the shirt! Lamb Of God kicks *ss. Just saw them in Royal Oak, MI with Anthrax.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you want to get a nice 70-80% gloss black on your frame use SEM Hot Rod Black. Comes in a kit. Paint. activator, reducer. Ive been using it ever since I found out about it. Great stuff.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you think you wasted 1,200 hours the average person watches that many hours of TV in 42 weeks. Still think you wasted 1,200 hours?

• Agree

MollytheOldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2013
Manassas,Va
Ditto 83Montess...Lamb of Gog does kick *ss. Molly sports a LOG sticker on her back window.
Good luck with the project!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor