help from the quadrajet gods!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx
quick question about an electronic quadrajet that my brother has on his 1987 chevy monte carlo ss. the problem i have is sometimes i can turn on the car on cold start and it wil idle high then slow down but then it slows down to much that it dies. or if i am able to keep it running for a little bit as soon as apply pressure to the gas pedal it bogs and dies .
so i took a look at the choke on a cold start and noticed that the choke seems to open the primary flap too fast in my opinion because in less than 1 minute its already full opened, so is this right? Would that be sufficient time for the engine to warm up or should the choke open a little slower to allow it to full warm up. could this be a sign of a bad choke?

also when the engine is cold and the choke is engaged the primary flap has a little bit of slack to it so sometimes it will move open more the approx 1/8" gap i think it should have when the choke is engaged. is there way to tighten that up or is that the way its supposed to be or does it need new bushings to keep everything ncie and tight.

if you guys need me to make a video about my problem i can do that if that helps explain things a little better

Thanks Fonz :D

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Fonz,
The choke function you describe sounds about right.

Everything you describe points to a vacuum leak.
I would check ALL vacuum hoses for cracks or loose connections.
Also check the carb base gasket for leaks.
Don't forget to check the vapor canister hoses, cruise control hoses and the power brake booster line.
Let us know what you find.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Sounds like maybe you just may want to adjust the opening rate of the choke a little if you feel the choke is opening up all the way too fast. Unscrew the 3 screws on the side of the choke housing and rotate the black plastic part a bit ( I forgot which way, but you'll easily figure it out ) then retighten the screws.

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
Are you only having problems during cold start? How does it run when warmed up?

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx
yes the only time it has done it is when its a cold start i havent really tested it out when fully warm because sometime i have a hard time starting it, which im thinking it choke related. but these are all great suggestion guys. i will adjust the choke and check for any vacuum leaks. i will let you know what i find this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor