Help identifying some wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I am working on an issue I had with the starter, and now the car won't turn over because I messed with something that clearly was working before and now it isn't :blam: on the right side of the car, as if you are standing in front looking at the engine bay, there is a bundle of wires coming from inside the cabin, underneath the brake booster. There are (2) red wires in this bundle. Can anyone tell me where they go? I have them running down to the starter because that's where I thought they went before I messed with the wiring. Any additional info you need let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this might help you...there are two red wires with fusible links that connect to the same terminal as the battery cable does on the starter

StarterSystem.jpg

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
According to the diagram above, I have it wired correctly but the starter just clicks. The battery has a full charge too. After it clicks, I turn the ignition off, pull out the key, put the key back in and try to start it and nothing happens. No starter sound or anything. After about 5 mins if I try to start it again then the starter will click again. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I would start with double checking and cleaning all connections and pay extra attention to the grounds.
If no change, I would try and jump it and see what happens. If none of that helps, I would take a good look at the solenoid.
HTH

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
williamattop said:
I would start with double checking and cleaning all connections and pay extra attention to the grounds.
If no change, I would try and jump it and see what happens. If none of that helps, I would take a good look at the solenoid.
HTH

I pulled the starter and had it tested and it passed with flying colors. I will check the rest of the wiring tonight. I have (3) red wires going to the positive terminal of the starter as well as the black wire coming from the battery. (2) of the red wires are coming from the firewall underneath the brake booster. The other red wire is coming from the post on the alternator. (1) purple wire is going to the S terminal of the starter. The only thing I can think of is a part of one of the wires is broken inside the sheath or the wire coming from the alternator to the starter should be going directly to the battery instead of the starter.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
williamattop brought up a good point about checking the grounds...the red wires have nothing to do with the starter motor, the are just there to draw power from the battery. You just need the battery cable and purple wire attached with the starter grounded

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
It turns out that the positive battery terminal cable was fried and broken at the battery post. Once I cut the end off and mated it to a new connector, it fired right up. Thank goodness it wasn't something worse :(

Thanks for all of the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor