Help me with vacuum pump for brakes !

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Even though my belt driven vacuum pump pulls a constant 28" of vacuum and self regulates itself I still use a canister inline, plus it is usually a good location to put a vacuum gauge to see what the pump is really pulling.
IMG_0963.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

alexd7392

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2016
California
It sounds like you loose vacuum the second you hit the gas, which is what naturally happens inside the manifold. The set up strikes me weird because you are pulling a constant vacuum via the pump. I think the pressure equalizes to atmosphere when you hit the pedal because you don't have a one way check valve between the pump and the booster.

So I installed the CVR 555 vacuum pump , the instructions give 2 options for install one being from manifold to the exhaust port on the pump and then the vacuum port on the pump to the booster.

2nd is vacuum port on manifold to check valve to T fitting then the bottom of the T fitting goes to the vacuum port and the ehxaust stays open and the other side of the T goes to the brake booster

I have it hooked up the 2nd way and the pedal feels like it has vacuum but as soon as u go to move the car it goes back to rock hard, and then same situation as before the vacuum pump. we tested the booster by using vacuum from our iron duke truck and it worked. so should I hook the vacuum pump up the 1st way ?

any tips/tricks? obviously something is screwy

thanks !

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
It sounds like you loose vacuum the second you hit the gas, which is what naturally happens inside the manifold. The set up strikes me weird because you are pulling a constant vacuum via the pump. I think the pressure equalizes to atmosphere when you hit the pedal because you don't have a one way check valve between the pump and the booster.

I have a check valve unless the check valve is bad... i also only tested it thus far in the parking lot.

how long does the pump have to run to initially build 18-22" of vacuum ?

alexd7392

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2016
California
I have a check valve unless the check valve is bad... i also only tested it thus far in the parking lot.

how long does the pump have to run to initially build 18-22" of vacuum ?

It shouldn't take long, almost instantly. From your original post, I thought the check valve was before the tee. I like to run mine close to the booster. You can try to run the check valve last, or the pump in line between the booster and manifold. It would help to have a vacuum gauge on intake manifold. On snap throttle, it should drop and rise quickly. Crowning throttle should only drop a little and gradually. Just to make sure you have no leaks.

• Agree

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
It shouldn't take long, almost instantly. From your original post, I thought the check valve was before the tee. I like to run mine close to the booster. You can try to run the check valve last, or the pump in line between the booster and manifold. It would help to have a vacuum gauge on intake manifold. On snap throttle, it should drop and rise quickly. Crowning throttle should only drop a little and gradually. Just to make sure you have no leaks.

sorry the check valve is in between the manifold and the T , then the right side of the tee goes to the booster the bottom part of the tee goes to the pump

alexd7392

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2016
California
sorry the check valve is in between the manifold and the T , then the right side of the tee goes to the booster the bottom part of the tee goes to the pump

The tee is still weird. You're basically running a non-beneficial redundant vacuum. I wouldn't run manifold vacuum to the booster because it isn't enough. I would try vacuum pump to check valve to booster. A canister/reservoir in line will help too. Other end of pump open, or restrict it.

• Agree

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
The tee is still weird. You're basically running a non-beneficial redundant vacuum. I wouldn't run manifold vacuum to the booster because it isn't enough. I would try vacuum pump to check valve to booster. A canister/reservoir in line will help too. Other end of pump open, or restrict it.

yeah thats what me n my boy were talking about but its weird that the instructions were preferred for the T method but I agree with u ... supposed to go to the shop later and do some work on it so i will re-run it and see what happens...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I have time I'll finally convert my GP to manual brakes for this year. With a proper master cylinder it doesn't take much more pedal pressure to stop the car and you much better feel on the brakes. We a had a skinny 15 year old kid driving our G body circle track car with manual brakes and he had no problem locking the wheels up and he never complained about his leg being tired after hitting the brakes twice each lap

Last edited:

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
okay so vacuum pump is making vacuum,

i plumbed it with vacuum to check valve to booster and exhaust to manifold. if u start the car , don't touch the brake, go in reverse or drive u get a nice power brake stop, problem is if u hold the brake the vacuum isnt building fast enough to then stop the car in a parking lot scenario... now the car isn't on the road yet. is this a normal scenario? is something wrong? even when i plumbed it exhaust open, vacuum straight to booster i was having the same issue...

if I get a canister will this solve the problem or is this a common occurrence with vacuum power brakes?

I'm really at a loss right now idk what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor