help needed with collapsing radiator hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayschevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2009
longview,texas
just put new hoses on and a new t'stat and it is sucking my hoses flat as a pancake.also put a new radiator on as the factory one was shot.my fan shroud doesnt fit very well now,can fix that problem.
question-will drilling 1\8 in. holes in the t'stat fix the problem.also where can i get better hoses maybe w\ wire in them.after it cools down half the fluid is in the overflow tank.i bought the hoses from abc autoparts.
either way though the heat works great now!as an extra note the people who had the mc before me took the t'stat apart and took the brass? part out w\the spring.and put the plate back in.talk about jury rigging!
any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
Some hoses come with wire in them almost like a large spring to keep them from collapsing. This might solve your problem

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ditto the wire. All LOWER radiator hoses should come with the wire inside since that is the suction side. Drilling a tiny hole in the thermostat won't solve that problem, but it will help bleed the air out of the system when filling with coolant. A BIG plus, because if the thermostat is not actually sitting in coolant, it will overheat and stick before it gets a chance to open. An alternative is to fill the block with coolant just up to the thermostat level, install it, then continue filling.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
A bad radiator cap will also cause the hose to collapse when the engine cools.

Bill

jayschevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2009
longview,texas
the old lower hose had no wire in it. i will get a new cap today,have checked all the sites around here none have hoses w\wire in them.i am going to replace the new t'stat and new(leaking-mr.gasket-gasket.which cost me 4.25 :evil: )try to find one that water flow through.
maybe i can go to lowes and find something to make an insert out of.
thanks for the help guys.

jayschevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2009
longview,texas
well guys whats up? i tried to put wire in the hoses,didnt work.hoses are molded.put hoses back on and filled fluid up to t'stat.then finished filling it up on flat ground.
new gasket and new radiator cap.hoses are firm and still warm as i just got back from a trip around town.apparently they dont make rad. hoses w\wire in them for mc's.only certain models-unknown-info from a radiator shop.
car seems to run right at 195 deg. now.apparently it was the rad. cap not holding pressure.guy told me if the overflow tank is overfull the it acts like a siphon taking the fluid out.
its not but*### cold here now-glad- but 40's is still cold.will check the hoses in the morning,hopefully all will be round like its supposed to be.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I have never seen a lower radiator hose that didn't have a coil of wire in it to keep it from collapsing. Sounds like that hose was replaced before and whoever did it didn't take the coil out of the old hose and put it in the new one.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I just bought a lower radiator hose from Advance Auto and it didn't have the wire. That's one of the reasons I always kept the old wire. Usually just tied a string to it and then pulled it through the hose.

I haven't found a rhyme or reason why some hoses have it and some don't. I've even spent good money for name brand stuff and sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor