Help needed with newer A/C comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Does anyone here have any experience with W-bodies? I'm replacing the A/C compressor on my '99 Buick Century (3.1L). I need to add oil to the new compressor but I don't know what type or how much. :? :?:

rob.c1989

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
you should be able to call your local part store and they should be able to tell you.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
307 Regal said:
Does anyone here have any experience with W-bodies? I'm replacing the A/C compressor on my '99 Buick Century (3.1L). I need to add oil to the new compressor but I don't know what type or how much. :? :?:
Should be PAG 150 oil for use with 134-A , rule of thumb is 2oz for every component replaced. The system called for 8-OZ. if flushed and empty. You don't want to over charge it with too much oil or 134-A 36.00 OZ's or you will damage your new compressor.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
tc1959 said:
307 Regal said:
Should be PAG 150 oil for use with 134-A , rule of thumb is 2oz for every component replaced. The system called for 8-OZ. if flushed and empty. You don't want to over charge it with too much oil or 134-A 36.00 OZ's or you will damage your new compressor.
Do you know if I need to add any PAG 150 directly to the compressor before installation?

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
If you bought your compressor new, they have oil in them. If not, you need to add oil, but you need a special compressor oil pump that will force it into one of your schrader valves.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
307 Regal said:
tc1959 said:
307 Regal said:
Do you know if I need to add any PAG 150 directly to the compressor before installation?
I usually pour it in the accumulator most compressor Mfg's require that you replace it and the orifice tube or expansion valve at the same time.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
The desiccant will absorb moisture, as it should. But as you control the boiling temperature of liquids by controlling the head pressure, you are able to safely and effectively remove the moisture from the accumulator by heating it with a heat gun while you are evacuating the system. If you are able to achieve around an 80 degree temp in the accumulator, the water will boil out at about 29"Hg. Pull into a deep vacuum say 29.9 which is near perfect and water boils at 69 degrees. Anyhow, blah blah. When you pull a vacuum, you are removing the moisture in the system. There shouldn't be any moisture in there if you have not bypassed your low pressure cut off, which protects your system from actually operating in a vacuum. You are pulling the vacuum to remove any oxidizers and moisture that will have an adverse effect on your system longevity, before filling it. Never fill an opened system without putting it into a vacuum.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I met this guy once and we were talking about cars. He had a Jetta or something and he said it was a good car except that the a/c compressor kept failing and he had to replace them. I asked what he used to draw a vacuum and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said he just hooked up the new compressor and added Freon. He was a nice guy so I didn't tell him that he was an idiot. I wonder how many compressors he has replaced since then.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well, here's how the situation stands now:
I've already removed and traded in the old compressor for the new one. I don't have the tools to properly evacuate the system myself. I really didn't know that this process would be so delicate when I started it. My plan now is to just bolt up the new compressor, along with everything else I had to remove to access it, so I can drive the car to a shop and get the system professionally evacuated and recharged. I really hate to be putting so much money into something as unimportant (to me) as air conditioning but that's life sometimes and I'd like to have this done correctly. And if paying for labor will prevent me from having to buy another compressor or pay for a tow truck somewhere down the road then okay.
So my question now is: I won't burn up the compressor on the trip there as long as I don't engage it, right?

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
307 Regal said:
So my question now is: I won't burn up the compressor on the trip there as long as I don't engage it, right?

Correct, and with no Freon in the system to make the pressure switch close it would not engage the clutch anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor