Help - Vinyl Top removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I'm taking off the vinyl top on my 84 Cutlass. How does a person get that foam pad off that's under the vinyl? It's stuck on pretty good!

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
GotSomeRust said:
I'm taking off the vinyl top on my 84 Cutlass. How does a person get that foam pad off that's under the vinyl? It's stuck on pretty good!

Ughhhh.
I did this on a stock car back in the day.
I Peeled as much of it off as i could, had to scrape the rest off, there is also little metal tabs from the roof that go up into it.
It was a royal nightmare, which I also have to do on my 84 rat rod, so Im hoping theres an easier way.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Wait til you get to the rear window surround!!
Now you know why GM charged big bucks for the vinyl top.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
What I used a putty knife with an edge on it and acetone. It ate the sticky stuff up so the foam comes off easier. It will eat off the paint tho. Check my gallery for some pics of when i took off my vinyl top and what it looks like now

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
put a bunch of paint thinner on it and light it on fire!!! i did this when i got soo pissed off with it, it actually loosened the glue a bit. regardless is it going to suck.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
Ok, I have vinyl top off along with the foam and most of the glue. What should I do around the side windows? The gap around the "chrome" of the window and the side of the car seems a little wider than it needs to be...

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
u will have to find a set of side windows off a car that dont have a top (like a salon)because the rubber around the crome trim is wider to make up for the spacing that you have by takeing the top off .also for the back window u will need the molding and molding clips too this is easy to install just heat up a flat bar to melt the seal around the window and install the molding clips then reseal it after

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Sorry guys, not to steal the thread here, but is it the same for Montes too? As far as the needing different side windows and that? Didn't Montes have different trim on the SS then the reg and LS (chrome vs black)??? Thats all I was wondering. I'm gonna be takeing mine off too pretty soon. I'll shut up now and go away.

david23we45

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2008
heat gun

i havent tried it yet but i was thinking of using a heat gun to loosen the glue on my vinyl top

Pittman06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2008
Apple Creek, Ohio
nycutlass said:
u will have to find a set of side windows off a car that dont have a top (like a salon)because the rubber around the crome trim is wider to make up for the spacing that you have by takeing the top off .also for the back window u will need the molding and molding clips too this is easy to install just heat up a flat bar to melt the seal around the window and install the molding clips then reseal it after
a set of windows or just the new chrome trim surround?? i'll be tackling this in a week or so on my project 82, wondering what i'm really gonna be runnin into

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor