Help with 3 wire cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 3 wire cruise switch? The 3 wire stalk I’m going to run doesn’t have the same # of wires as the aftermarket setup and I’m trying to figure out how to rig this up. Thanks in advance!!
29C3335C-C40F-4629-81A0-119391FB8BE3.jpeg

Let me hunt mine down. It's an 84+ stalk correct?

Reactions: Texas82GP
Is that an aftermarket stalk?
The wires were common, set, accel, and on when I did my 85 Bonneville. 3 of the wires went right to the Series 2 DBW PCM. I had to give the common 12v ign. I don't understand what all you got going on here....

84-up? No it's not. That's an 82-83 stalk with the brown/black/blue wires. if it's got "smooth" end plug without a pull-wire hole and a notch in the side with 4 wires, it's an 82-83.

Here you go fleming442 , sink your teeth into these wires, you wirebiter you. 🙂 Maybe the tech manual wiring diagram for 84 Cruise control will make a little more sense to you.

84 Cruise Control Wiring Diagram.jpg

Never F*cking Mind. I read the original post wrong as to what the end result needed to be. I thought he was trying to rig up a 4-wire cruise wand to a 3-wire system.

The easy way to remember for me is that 83 and earlier stalks had 3 wires and 84 and up had 4 wires.

The 82-83 stalk had a power wire (brown), a cruise solenoid engage wire (black) and a cruise control hold wire (blue).

Last edited:
This might be a little more complex than I hoped! The DBW cruise is a Rostra kit, part number 250-1881 and comes with an older style GM stalk.

I found this guy on eBay and might purchase it. I’d like just the adapter but can’t find any info on it.

Just get a 4-wire cruise switch and cut the end off, and attatch those "pins" on the end of the wires and plug them into the plastic connector like you would for the rostra thing. Not like anyone would see that end anyway.

But for the price of the Rostra piece, you would only save money by finding an aftermarket cruise wand that looks like the GM piece. Finding a GM NOS one is getting a bit tough lately and if you do, they're kinda pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor