Help with 3 wire cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was: if you're using a factory GM computer, DBW, and an electronic trans, you don't need a kit. It's built in the computer......
But you would have to adapt the switch to the harness somewhere, no? I'm the worst one to ask on this, because if it ain't factory G-stuff wiring, I'm really sunk. I have a bad enough time with electricity and wiring anyway. I'm amazed I'm not dead yet fiddling with wiring.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
But you would have to adapt the switch to the harness somewhere, no? I'm the worst one to ask on this, because if it ain't factory G-stuff wiring, I'm really sunk. I have a bad enough time with electricity and wiring anyway. I'm amazed I'm not dead yet fiddling with wiring.
Nope, mine went wire for wire- stupid easy! Now, his computer/harness may be different and or operate differently (CANBUS or something stupid), but I don't have all the dirty deets.

Just get a 4-wire cruise switch and cut the end off, and attatch those "pins" on the end of the wires and plug them into the plastic connector like you would for the rostra thing. Not like anyone would see that end anyway.

But for the price of the Rostra piece, you would only save money by finding an aftermarket cruise wand that looks like the GM piece. Finding a GM NOS one is getting a bit tough lately and if you do, they're kinda pricey.
I’m either going to buy a 4 pin and install the pins from the Rostra or just pick the Rostra one up off eBay.

If anyone’s looking for an NOS 3 pin stalk (still have the box even) PM me. I’ll cut you a good deal!

My point was: if you're using a factory GM computer, DBW, and an electronic trans, you don't need a kit. It's built in the computer......
Unfortunately not all factory GM computers have provisions for cruise control. The E38 as an example won’t get it done without the body control module (CANBUS)

Nope, mine went wire for wire- stupid easy! Now, his computer/harness may be different and or operate differently (CANBUS or something stupid), but I don't have all the dirty deets.
The kit I have is plug and play with my speartech e38. My engine harness and pedal both have a connector to the box. It’s a really nice setup but my stupid OCD azz is just trying to use a factory stalk because I can’t seem to handle an “almost factory” touch point.

Reactions: Texas82GP
So reading between the lines, you want a stock 84+ GM stalk to control the Gen 4 LSA cruise, The problem you have is they supply an aftermarket stalk to talk to the aftermarket box you run because the 84-07 4 wire cruise system (basically 84 computer carb GM to end of Gen 3 support) doesn't communicate to the gen 4 system.

I seem to remember reading on some squarebody or C10 forum that to run an aftermarket stalk on a Gen 3 LS needs 2 wires flipped, like the set/resume wires . I wonder if you could do a similar thing on this setup?

Here is my 86 stock GP stalk feeding into a stock P01 99-02 DBW (along with some erronious data)

1606141466585.png

G body
1606141478084.png

P01 truck
1606141501698.png

Some guy online
1606141518195.png

I’m either going to buy a 4 pin and install the pins from the Rostra or just pick the Rostra one up off eBay.

If anyone’s looking for an NOS 3 pin stalk (still have the box even) PM me. I’ll cut you a good deal!
Is there lines going to the on off switch, or are there arrows printed on it right under the lettering? There's an 82 and early 83 that has the lines, and then there's the later 83 with the arrows. No small support ledge under the switch on either one.

If it's got the lines, it's more "valuable" to the 83 H/O guys since that's what came factory in them. Just sayin'.

So reading between the lines, you want a stock 84+ GM stalk to control the Gen 4 LSA cruise,
So reading between the lines, you want a stock 84+ GM stalk to control the Gen 4 LSA cruise, The problem you have is they supply an aftermarket stalk to talk to the aftermarket box you run because the 84-07 4 wire cruise system (basically 84 computer carb GM to end of Gen 3 support) doesn't communicate to the gen 4 system.

I seem to remember reading on some squarebody or C10 forum that to run an aftermarket stalk on a Gen 3 LS needs 2 wires flipped, like the set/resume wires . I wonder if you could do a similar thing on this setup?

Here is my 86 stock GP stalk feeding into a stock P01 99-02 DBW (along with some erronious data)

View attachment 162619

G body
View attachment 162620

P01 truck
View attachment 162621

Some guy online
View attachment 162622
Almost. I was hoping to use the 83 and earlier NOS stalk with my 4 wire aftermarket cruise kit. For simplicity’s sake, I think I need to just find a newer style 4 wire stalk.

It’s amazing the knowledge and support present on this forum!!

Is there lines going to the on off switch, or are there arrows printed on it right under the lettering? There's an 82 and early 83 that has the lines, and then there's the later 83 with the arrows. No small support ledge under the switch on either one.

If it's got the lines, it's more "valuable" to the 83 H/O guys since that's what came factory in them. Just sayin'.
I’ll check it out tonight, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor