help with A/C control please,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
DSCF4010.JPG DSCF4009.JPG
i took a page outta UNGN's book on that one..

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
All good info but go back to basics. Do you have sufficient vacuum to the rotary switch?

Reactions: 1 user

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i honestly don't know about vacuum to the switch. i have my car in my shop doing some minor body work, i have it covered with paper, i am fixing a dent on the fender and i bought a new bumper cover/nose from dixie. i will be painting next weekend and finishing it up, if things go as planned, LOL then i will check the vac. and all the great response and info i have gotten here. thank you all! and if you have any transmission concerns please ask.

mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Check to see if you can borrow a vacuum test pump from Autozone. With the motor running and the vacuum tester connected, you'll be able to identify exactly where vacuum exists or doesn't along the route from the motor to the HVAC controls. Start at the vacuum ball and work toward the controls inside the cabin. Our classic cars are old and, more than likely, the vacuum rubber and plastic hoses are dried out, cracked, brittle and in dire need of being replaced. While you may not be able to find colored plastic hoses, a suitable substitute is black plastic hose used for airbags at your local NAPA store. You can also use 5/32" rubber vacuum hose to connect between old and new plastic hoses. Where necessary, I retained the original colored hoses near the controls and any hook up points in order to ease any troubleshooting. Due to the difficulty in threading new plastic hose through the harness opening below the AC box, I opted to retain the original plastic tubes enter the cabin.

Be methodical and patient!

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
Check to see if you can borrow a vacuum test pump from Autozone. With the motor running and the vacuum tester connected, you'll be able to identify exactly where vacuum exists or doesn't along the route from the motor to the HVAC controls. Start at the vacuum ball and work toward the controls inside the cabin. Our classic cars are old and, more than likely, the vacuum rubber and plastic hoses are dried out, cracked, brittle and in dire need of being replaced. While you may not be able to find colored plastic hoses, a suitable substitute is black plastic hose used for airbags at your local NAPA store. You can also use 5/32" rubber vacuum hose to connect between old and new plastic hoses. Where necessary, I retained the original colored hoses near the controls and any hook up points in order to ease any troubleshooting. Due to the difficulty in threading new plastic hose through the harness opening below the AC box, I opted to retain the original plastic tubes enter the cabin.

Be methodical and patient!
thank you brother i will. i didn't get to do the paint on the fender the weather turned nasty here in SC, we are shooting for this weekend. then i will get back on the A/C,,,,,,,,,,,,,

smartinez886

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2018
thank you brother i will. i didn't get to do the paint on the fender the weather turned nasty here in SC, we are shooting for this weekend. then i will get back on the A/C,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Im having the same issue with air only coming from the vents and floor. I got all my vacuum lines sorted in the engine bay into the purple hvac line. Im probably going to have to replace the same vacuum selector valve once i test the doors to see if they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor