Help with Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
Help with Brakes Problems.

I have a 78 Grand prix with Blazer Brakes upfront and 1985 Monte Carlo Calipers in the rear on a Quick Performance 9”.

I can’t get more then 50% Pedal with the brakes. I have a stock Disc Disc Prop Valve from Summit racing.

The master cylinder is stock. I believe that might be the problem. I’ve had it at two brake shops with no luck. One shop said the quick performance rear braided brake lines might be to big.

Everything is new, new stainless steel hard lines up to the rear and new booster.

Can you hook up the Wilwood prop in the OE location or would I need to redo the hardlines.

Or is it just using the stock master is limiting it.

Thank you for any help.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Rear caliper pistons are way too large.... Thats part of your problem

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The stock master cyl isn't helping either. The piston is to small to move enough fluid without ecsessive pedal travel.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
Rear caliper pistons are way too large.... Thats part of your problem
🤔 If thats the case how are people putting C5 and Camaro calipers on four corners..😕Im not sure my options for switching them out since the whole rear is set up for disc

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
The stock master cyl isn't helping either. The piston is to small to move enough fluid without ecsessive pedal travel.
I think the master cyl is one of bigger problems with it...Hopefully switching that will solve the problem..

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
When I put blazer discs at all 4 corners on my GP I originally used a 84 Eldorado master and still wasnt quite satisfied with how the pedal felt so I used an 81 trans am 4 wheel disc master since it had a larger bore and piston than even the Eldorado master, the lines were in the correct place and it's aluminum with a plastic resivore so it looks just like a stock G master cyl.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
🤔 If thats the case how are people putting C5 and Camaro calipers on four corners..😕Im not sure my options for switching them out since the whole rear is set up for disc
Because they aren't using front calipers on the rear of a vehicle. Piston size on rear calipers are ALWAYS, MUCH smaller than the pistons on the front calipers of the same vehicle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
^ metric calipers on the rear of vehicles is super common.

That being said there are different caliper bore sizes for metric calipers available other than stock.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
For dirt cars and that still doesn't make it right....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor