Help with Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
So im gonna replace Master first.... then if that doesn't fix it gonna go with one of the Wilwood rear brake kits but they are like $600+ so gonna try Master first

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
They make metric caliper brackets kits for just about every rear end out there. On as many hot rods as they are on dirt cars
Your point? They make lots of things, it doesn't mean they are right or should be used. Name a single car that has rear caliper pistons the same size as the front from the factory. There are NONE. There is a reason for that.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have 50/50 braking you will need to make sure you are traveling in a straight line or the back end will come around real quick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
Your master cylinder is the main issue. Go with a strait bore 1.125" bore master cylinder. The system you have will work with the right master cylinder, but the caliper is over sized for the rear brakes. That being said, A LOT of people run that rear brake setup but it is mainly on drag cars, from my experience.

Instead of going with a $600 system, you can use a metric caliper with a 2.0" bore. That will get you close to the 48mm (1.89") bore size of a rear caliper of a 2000ish Blazer.

Also, rear calipers from an early 80s front wheel drive El Dorado should also bolt in. They have emergency brake provisions, but they need the E brake hooked up to adjust them properly.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
Your master cylinder is the main issue. Go with a strait bore 1.125" bore master cylinder. The system you have will work with the right master cylinder, but the caliper is over sized for the rear brakes. That being said, A LOT of people run that rear brake setup but it is mainly on drag cars, from my experience.

Instead of going with a $600 system, you can use a metric caliper with a 2.0" bore. That will get you close to the 48mm (1.89") bore size of a rear caliper of a 2000ish Blazer.

Also, rear calipers from an early 80s front wheel drive El Dorado should also bolt in. They have emergency brake provisions, but they need the E brake hooked up to adjust them properly.
You are 100% correct, I had the EL Dorado rears but didn’t have the E brake hooked up and they leaked and i was told they wouldnt work without installing new e brake system.

Any suggestions on calipers I can use for the rear besides the Monte Carlo Fronts?

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
Help with Brakes Problems.

I have a 78 Grand prix with Blazer Brakes upfront and 1985 Monte Carlo Calipers in the rear on a Quick Performance 9”.

I can’t get more then 50% Pedal with the brakes. I have a stock Disc Disc Prop Valve from Summit racing.

The master cylinder is stock. I believe that might be the problem. I’ve had it at two brake shops with no luck. One shop said the quick performance rear braided brake lines might be to big.

Everything is new, new stainless steel hard lines up to the rear and new booster.

Can you hook up the Wilwood prop in the OE location or would I need to redo the hardlines.

Or is it just using the stock master is limiting it.

Thank you for any help.
After several years trying to get a decent pedal on my 1980 Caballero, I recently talked to a guy who worked on the GM assembly line and was familiar with the metric mumbo jumbo in the early 80's. Bottom line is he told me about "quick take-up master cylinders" so I installed one. This design has a larger piston for the front calipers. Because of the larger piston, a different booster had to be used. I think I usent the master cylinder for a mid-80's Buick. Finally, I have a good pedal.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
You are 100% correct, I had the EL Dorado rears but didn’t have the E brake hooked up and they leaked and i was told they wouldnt work without installing new e brake system.

Any suggestions on calipers I can use for the rear besides the Monte Carlo Fronts?

Go with what you have now. Don't change it unless you need to.

If you find you need to change them, go with the Wilwood 2.0" metric caliper. PN is 120-9333. I have one of these calipers left over from when I was researching calipers. It is brand new, never used. Just took it out of the box to take pictures. Pay for the ride and its yours, you just need to purchase one more from summit, jegs, etc.

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
Go with what you have now. Don't change it unless you need to.

If you find you need to change them, go with the Wilwood 2.0" metric caliper. PN is 120-9333. I have one of these calipers left over from when I was researching calipers. It is brand new, never used. Just took it out of the box to take pictures. Pay for the ride and its yours, you just need to purchase one more from summit, jegs, etc.

Thank you, Ill take you up on that offer, Ill buy one more and switch the rear calipers. And switch to the Wilwood MasterCylinder No: 260-8556.
What do you think? Would that fix my problems? And keep the prop valve i have.

My zip is 98444 for shipping quote

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that master cylinder is notorious for being bad rite outta the box and bleeding issues.due to the angle it attaches to a booster it's pretty steep as in jacking up the back to level out the fluid level in both halves and screw the cap back down.have you thought about replacing the prop valve with a disc/disc one?i switched to four wheel disk and used one and have zero rear brake lock up issues.i also installed an adjustable one early on and it's not needed with the disc/disc combo valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor