help with computer controled '86 G/P

Status
Not open for further replies.

two66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2007
COLORADO
my '86 G/P has a computer controlled quadrajet, air pump and ALL that garbage. Can anyone help me in figuring out how to eliminate all the computer B.S so I can change the combanation.

Thanks,

Troy O.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
pretty sure all you need to do is get a non CCC qjet and a normal ol HEI distrib. just make sure you dont need it for emissions inspections if thats applicable in your area

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
assuming that this is legal in your state or that it's for off-road only use... :lol: get a standad carb, standard HEI, and the complete wiring kit for the trans lockup ckt from Bowtie Overdrives.
you need the complete kit because you have to change the solenoid and the pressure switch from (-) control to (+) control.
you can retain the computer for ignition timing with just the ECT, knock sensor, and Baro sensor.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
no, removing the computer keeps your torque converter clutch from working. the computer applies ground to the trans TCC solenoid to apply it for lockup. removing lockup increases the trans fluid temp leading to premature failure.
you need to replace the solenoid and pressure switch to power controlled and run power through a NC switch on the brake pedal. the bowtie kit has everything you need and good instructions. you can also get the switch to allow lockup in 2nd and 3rd.

jerry455

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2006
sterling hts mi
i am still using the stock carb & dist. with my zz3 ,700r4 3.73 86 gp. i am using the 350 h.o. prom that gm used in the 350 h.o. camaro crate engine kit. on the freeway i can get 20 mpg around town 14-16 mpg and [email protected] at milan dragway. i built this car in 1996 ,it has 380 runs at milan dragway and just over 60,000 miles. it was built as my daily driver until recently when i bought a 1990 turbo grand prix from my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor