Help with core support brace questions 78 monte

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Help 78 monte core support brace bolt holes.I cannot tell if therr were ever any holes put to mount the long braces I guess most 78 Montes came with pictures online simply show the back firewall end bolted very near the wiper swing arms the metal there isn't all thar sturdy. Thing is I can't find and holes were to hook the rear end of the Tubular support braces to period I have removed the rubber seal and felt anywhere along that peice of metal somewhere it says the bolt to the firewall that has sane situation seems to be no such provisions ( boss)I suppose some 78s may not of had braces since I can't find any holes I don't want to guesstimate and start drilling my own any ideas or pictures so I might at least see another car with the brace positions ( were tobes bolt too)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240629-203119_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629-203119_Firefox.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 7

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
there should be three dimples almost directly below the pass side wiper arm.I'm pretty sure that's the spot where the right bar bolts up.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My 78 didn't have them either. Likely edited out by a previous owner and not reinstalled. Think there should be a location on the firewall above and behind the dizzie, almost right under the flange that carries the rubber gasket, for an Ell shaped tab to be bolted into place that picks up the ears on the rails. Outboard, on the rad cradle, there will be a pair of holes with spring clips in them that have the bosses with threads. The outboard set of rail ears get bolted to them.

Most of those bars tended to get "lost" because they were a nuisance to work around. They were supposed to brace the rad cradle and probably would have collapsed in the event of a head on collision but at the same time kept the cradle from moving back and crashing into the fan.

Nick

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Hope this may help. This is the placement on my 79 Monte Carlo.
P7112161.JPG
Should be to the left and right of the center hood height snubber, Curved bar goes to the passenger side and the straight bar on the drivers side. They attach to the rear most fender bolt to the core support.
P7112162.JPG P7112163.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
These may help with the relative position of the holes on the cowl behind the seal pinch weld.
Driver Side.
20240630_133336.jpg 20240630_133434.jpg

Passenger Side
20240630_133306.jpg 20240630_133840.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
In that first picture it almost looks like the firewall tabs are bolted directly to the flange with the rubber gasket on it. I am seeing two bolts coming through that flange that appear as if they line up with the ends of the braces.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I certainly thank everyone for taking time to reply and now I can decide where to place the holes as there certainly aren't any holes on that plate for any long braces it's possible it didn't come with any and its possible the core supports been changed it kind of looks like there were ones placed there but I wouldn't swear after not finding corresponding "holes at all near were above pictures show...thanks have a day no I don't think it's the wrong year cab

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
In that first picture it almost looks like the firewall tabs are bolted directly to the flange with the rubber gasket on it. I am seeing two bolts coming through that flange that appear as if they line up with the ends of the braces.

Nick
Yes, They pass under the cowl and bolt up through from below. Requires loosening and dropping the wiper transmission arms from the motor to install the driver side.
On the passenger side the hole sits below the wiper stanchion bolt closest to the heater box. Driver side is just left if the windshield support block attachment point.
I included the measurements from the hood bumper stud or attachment hole to give a general area to look for a dimple in the area of should they not have been punched out.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor