help with f body rear sway bar install

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
where on earth do i mount the rear brackets (off the camaro) to the frame of my cutlass for the links????

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
On g bodies, the rear bar mounts to the lower control arms. No links used. Might have to get a different bar.

Attachments

• rearswaybar.jpg
    rearswaybar.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 827

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
A G-body "pro Touring" style bare mounts with links like an F-body bar. Most people just buy the G-body specific bar.

Because you don't need stiffer LCA's the total cost of a Pro touring bar might even be cheaper than a LCA mounted bar.

pontiacgp rebent an F-body bar and fabricated body brackets to work on a G-body. Maybe he will chime in.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
yeah I saw that. either I don't have the holes described or I'm not looking in the right place. maybe not using the right parts??
the g body never had holes to mount the links for an f body bar. it mounted to the sway bars. it'd be easier to get the right g body bar, but as ungn mentioned you'd need stiffer LCAs

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the g body never had holes to mount the links for an f body bar. it mounted to the sway bars. it'd be easier to get the right g body bar, but as ungn mentioned you'd need stiffer LCAs

the holes that are pointed out in the pictures in the thread I posted a link to were there in the cross member of my GP. They were not meant for the F body bar but they lined up with the F body bar after I bent in the arms on the sway bar a little so they would not hit the lower UMI control arms. If the holes I used for the end links are not there on the cross member then I would have taken 5 minutes to drill a couple of holes. The F body link works better than the G body bar due it works independently of the lower control arms. The F body bar is the same style as the performance aftermarket rear control arms but much cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
the holes that are pointed out in the pictures in the thread I posted a link to were there in the cross member of my GP. They were not meant for the F body bar but they lined up with the F body bar after I bent in the arms on the sway bar a little so they would not hit the lower UMI control arms. If the holes I used for the end links are not there on the cross member then I would have taken 5 minutes to drill a couple of holes. The F body link works better than the G body bar due it works independently of the lower control arms. The F body bar is the same style as the performance aftermarket rear control arms but much cheaper.

I ended up drilling the holes but I just wanted to be sure. I had also grabbed the brackets that mounted to the camaro body and for what ever reason had it in my mind that those were required as well. had to reread your post several times to get the brain putting the pieces together.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
On mine I used a torch to bend the ends of the bar in and then used the holes that are shown in the link that PontiacGP posted. Come to think of it I got the whole idea from him years ago. Definitely changed the feel of the car for the better. The UMI sticker came with the control arms lol. As for the rear end brackets and end links I just used the Energy Suspension kits that you see at Autozone in the race car rice section. Works like a charm.
8.5 swap.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
sway bar 1.jpg
sway bar 2.jpg
IMG_3791.jpg
where on earth do i mount the rear brackets (off the camaro) to the frame of my cutlass for the links????
Here is a picture of my Spohn pro touring set up that mounts like an F body. I used vice grip C clamps to hold the mounts in place once I had the bar centered. Then I used a torpedo level to make sure I had them straight and drilled the holes and bolted them right up. If you go to Spohn's website you can download the installation guide and see it. Hope this helps,

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor