Help with out of state purchase and hauling

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I have bought many out of state vehicles but................I usually fly and buy or fly home.
I always wondered IF you could contact an attorney in the city you are purchasing the car from.
Ask the attorney to HOLD your funds in HIS possession until you receive your car. A call from
you can then release a cashiers check to the seller. You will incur attorney costs but this way your not
hung out on a limb sending money for the car and HOPING it shows. The seller can also contact
the attorney and make sure his money is ready to be released UPON THE CAR ARRIVING. NOT
on if you "LIKE" the car. That is on you totally to own what you decide up front. At least someone
is holding the money while you both make the transfer of the car and then transfer the funds.

Just an idea.............no I am not a lawyer and do not wish to be one. It's just a thought

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I don't buy anything I don't pick up myself. If I couldn't pick it up myself, I wouldn't buy it.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
My brother used InterCity in 2009 for a car he shipped from Michigan to California, I used them in 2014 when getting my Cutlass from New Jersey to Pittsburgh -- I would use them again.

For me, InterCity just needed the Seller's contact information to arrange the where/when to get the car. I had seen the car, made the deal, and put-down a deposit in-person so it was a matter of wiring the balance of purchase price to the Seller, he then released the car to the shipper and just put the title in the glovebox.

Be aware of the "title transfer rules" in your state; for example, I've registered the car in Pennsylvania so:
- if you're buying a car with a PA Title, the title transfer has to occur with both Seller and Buyer at a notary
- if you're buying a car with an out-of-state title, basically the rules of the "other state" apply for the title transfer
In my case it was a New Jersey title so the Seller just had to sign-over the title to my name

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Your best case scenario is

1) putting a nominal deposit on it,

2) making an advance purchase on cheap airfare to fly out the day before a shipper can pick it up, and fly home after it is picked up

3) fly out, double check the car,

4a) if the car doesn't check out: cancel shipper, fly home

4b) if car checks out: pay balance, get keys/paperwork, meet shipper including walkaround video with transporter in background documenting condition and filming loading (in case something bad happens), then fly home.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
4b) if car checks out: pay balance, get keys/paperwork, meet shipper including walkaround video with transporter in background documenting condition and filming loading (in case something bad happens), then fly home.[/QUOTE]

I had the extreme displeasure of videoing the delivery of my 1969 Camaro coming from a Florida paint shop to my home in AZ and
having the hauler accidently let his foot slip off the brake and run into the car in front of it and under it and ruin a completely
new front end. After throwing up in the weeds,:sick: I was glad to have it documented and the hauler had no choice but to settle up.

So it can and does happen...........

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
I bought my Monte off Ebay sight unseen. Sent a certified check, got the title in FedEx the next day. Used a small, private hauler that I paid in cash when I got the car. For me, everything went perfect and the car was better than I expected it to be.

BUT... I was prepared to lose it all. Granted, a $1200.00 car didn't have a high risk of being a scam, but if it were, or the car was crap, I had already made peace with it.

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
I bought mine sight unseen, except for a photo. The nice man in Massachusettes took my cashiers check placed the title in the car along with the original owners manual and every single repair etc done to the car. A large manila file folder full. I contacted a transport company call chips transport and they delivered it to NC for $800 in just 4 days. It arrived on a transport with Mercedes, range rover, jaguar, bmw and a lexus. My poor little grand prix was backed in last on the bottom. I forgot to take a picture of that. But it does take a lot of trust between the buyer and seller. I would think where ever the car is there might be a member from here that could check it out for you. But then again they could snatch it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor