Hey GM, You're Not Fooling Me

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That’s exactly why the upgrade to mid-engine. Next will probably be the OHC version of the LS. Then (with the way the industry is changing) a turbo diesel and electric. Hell I remember in the 60s they were playing with a turbine engine for the Vette. Then in the early 70s it was a mid-engine Wankle rotory engine. As for new GM products, I like the Impala and the Buick STATION WAGON. I looked on Buicks web site, they actually call it a station wagon. The only thing that bugs me about them is no V-8
GM has already come out and said they're moving to embrace the oil embargo, essentially, as far as making nearly everything electric. Idiots. Oil is down to 53 bucks/bbl right now....we don't NEED electric cars. They will not sell well. Electric cars are for P**SYs. And you won't be able to spin that to convince me otherwise no matter what examples you provide. If you can't put a bigger camshaft in it, then it doesn't belong under the hood.

Disclosure, I used to own several electric cars back in the day. Changing motor magnets, gears, and try to figure out how to keep them from flying off the plastic tracks in the curves was a challenge though....

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
GM has already come out and said they're moving to embrace the oil embargo, essentially, as far as making nearly everything electric. Idiots. Oil is down to 53 bucks/bbl right now....we don't NEED electric cars. They will not sell well. Electric cars are for P**SYs. And you won't be able to spin that to convince me otherwise no matter what examples you provide. If you can't put a bigger camshaft in it, then it doesn't belong under the hood.

Disclosure, I used to own several electric cars back in the day. Changing motor magnets, gears, and try to figure out how to keep them from flying off the plastic tracks in the curves was a challenge though....

This
right here would rock the hell out of an electric car. Driving a Telsa P90D when they were letting people drive them at Cars N Coffee sealed that for me, I have been a fan from the beginning of something that the big 3 and oil doesn't support personally. Even with oil so low we are still paying over $3 a gallon here, just continues to prove how much they will do what they want with prices and why I would love to stop relying on them. I know that is nowhere near as green as some think and as dirty as other want you to believe, but think we have to support innovation to avoid the big 3 continuing in the Tucker style of business. Not to mention that since Big Pharma has taken over as the evilest empire for corporate greed I would expect the Oil people to make a big push to take that back.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You really think electric prices will stay low if everyone started driving electric cars? You foolin' yourself. Even once it went electric, with the infrastructure needed to install "fueling" stations in enough places where you don't run out of power, or even to extend battery life so you can get a decent distance instead of having to rely on it to be a short distance commuter car...that's going to cost big $$. And we'll all pay for it. For what? There will need to be more electrical generating stations to make that work as well. Who's going to be paying for that?

Just look at the several states who lamented for years about combustion engines, you need to go green, etc., and what happened? People started taking them up on that. But then....gasoline purchases started dropping, and they weren't collecting enough taxes for it. They started to accomplish what they started. But wait...Oh no! What to do? Oh...let's put a levee on electric vehicles to make up for that tax revenue we're losing. You will not escape the red tape no matter what you do.

I still contend that until they make E-cars truly cost effective, there's not going to be an incentive for people to move off of oil. Or until the U.S.S.A. makes you get off of oil by taking away combustion engines. I have no issue with people having choices, so they can buy an E-car if they want, but I will never, ever drive an electric G-body as long as I have a choice. I hope more people do buy electric cars. But not TOO many. Means more gas for me.

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You really think electric prices will stay low if everyone started driving electric cars? You foolin' yourself. Even once it went electric, with the infrastructure needed to install "fueling" stations in enough places where you don't run out of power, or even to extend battery life so you can get a decent distance instead of having to rely on it to be a short distance commuter car...that's going to cost big $$. And we'll all pay for it. For what? There will need to be more electrical generating stations to make that work as well. Who's going to be paying for that?

Just look at the several states who lamented for years about combustion engines, you need to go green, etc., and what happened? People started taking them up on that. But then....gasoline purchases started dropping, and they weren't collecting enough taxes for it. They started to accomplish what they started. But wait...Oh no! What to do? Oh...let's put a levee on electric vehicles to make up for that tax revenue we're losing. You will not escape the red tape no matter what you do.

I still contend that until they make E-cars truly cost effective, there's not going to be an incentive for people to move off of oil. Or until the U.S.S.A. makes you get off of oil by taking away combustion engines. I have no issue with people having choices, so they can buy an E-car if they want, but I will never, ever drive an electric G-body as long as I have a choice. I hope more people do buy electric cars. But not TOO many. Means more gas for me.
To add, just think how many years the rail roads have been using "electric" engines that need a diesel power plant to run the on board generator to power it. Just think of what would be needed to make them oil free. With over the road trucking hauling almost everything we need using diesel power to pull the weight of their loads the distance driven in a 14 hour day, how would those manage with an electric motor that needs batterys recharged every 200-300 miles, having to power an air compressor for the brakes to boot. Ships at sea, what technology would help them keep a charge going across the Pacific? The technology is there but years beyond bean counters, politicians, tree huggers & hippies grasp. Lets develop it all at a reasonable pace & cost cause rushing it with dumping tons of "free" tax payer cash at it won't help fix the problems our evil dino burning engines cause.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Think the commuter car market. If Tesla trims 10-15% off their cars in the next couple years I would be pushing the girlfriend to get one. She commutes about 25 miles each way for work and rarely leaves the 300 mile radius of home. Being able to plug in at work or overnight at home every third day makes a LOT of sense.

Electric cant replace Petro powered cars entirely but it can replace a good portion of urban cars.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

No, that's the point that greed always makes the price jump up when they feel that they can get away with it. The government always finds a way to get its money, while its the American way to avoid paying for it. They should just focus on the commuter part of it and staying local until technology allows for the long trips. Hyrbrids were doing pretty good until they made it common knowledge that you don't get your money back out of spending the extra, so only the people who are really trying to save the plant want them. I've always wanted a cheap commuter vehicle because personally I hate pay for the gas, the price goes up at any indication even if it is a false one even though what is in the tanks was already purchased by them at the lower price. Then even when it comes down as it is now there is very little price decrease or it is summer so they increase the price anyways.

To add, just think how many years the rail roads have been using "electric" engines that need a diesel power plant to run the on board generator to power it. Just think of what would be needed to make them oil free. With over the road trucking hauling almost everything we need using diesel power to pull the weight of their loads the distance driven in a 14 hour day, how would those manage with an electric motor that needs batterys recharged every 200-300 miles, having to power an air compressor for the brakes to boot. Ships at sea, what technology would help them keep a charge going across the Pacific? The technology is there but years beyond bean counters, politicians, tree huggers & hippies grasp. Lets develop it all at a reasonable pace & cost cause rushing it with dumping tons of "free" tax payer cash at it won't help fix the problems our evil dino burning engines cause.

That's the point though, there is the technology to do a lot of it and while some of it is not something that it would work for there is a large part that it could help. But do you think it is a coincidence that the oil companies are getting into the alternative technologies for what they call broadening their horizons, in reality if the big 3 and the oil companies hadn't been allowed to squash many of the early adopters of technology we would be much further with it. God forbid they not make their record profits every year so they convince us that its near impossible to do a lot of the stuff.

Think the commuter car market. If Tesla trims 10-15% off their cars in the next couple years I would be pushing the girlfriend to get one. She commutes about 25 miles each way for work and rarely leaves the 300 mile radius of home. Being able to plug in at work or overnight at home every third day makes a LOT of sense.

Electric cant replace Petro powered cars entirely but it can replace a good portion of urban cars.

That was their hope with the model 3, a car for everyone. But he is fighting a losing battle, he is going against both the big 3 and oil. Somehow the Model S had a record breaking score of quality from Consumer Reports to then not being recommended once they were reminded who supports them. Do Tesla's have issues, absolutely but so do all car companies. I like that he is pushing technology and performance, stuff that I have always wanted in a vehicle that the bean counters at the big 3 had deemed unimportant up until the past few years. Whether he makes it or not he has at least had a large impact on the car industry in general which I hope is for the better.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No, that's the point that greed always makes the price jump up when they feel that they can get away with it. The government always finds a way to get its money, while its the American way to avoid paying for it.
Agreed. This is the permanent cycle that will always be in place as long as we don't upend our free trade system as it exists. And this is the system that is in place to suck every last taxable dime out of anything that's worth anything. So trying to save money by being a trailblazer may only get you so far, then, you'll be lucky to break even. Most of the time it's years and years before you can break even. Shouldn't be that way. Save here, so you can pay more there. Shell games.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Agreed. This is the permanent cycle that will always be in place as long as we don't upend our free trade system as it exists. And this is the system that is in place to suck every last taxable dime out of anything that's worth anything. So trying to save money by being a trailblazer may only get you so far, then, you'll be lucky to break even. Most of the time it's years and years before you can break even. Shouldn't be that way. Save here, so you can pay more there. Shell games.

I'm hoping we hit a tipping point soon, seems as though we are getting so far separated over stupid little things that it won't happen. But if people really grasped how much wealth and power is held by a handful of people that control everything without the majority being any the wiser is sickening

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Just a reminder that if this goes political (and gubmint this and gubmint that is on its way there) I’ll shut it down. It doesn’t need to go there. Carry on!

Also if I can find the money, skills, parts, and equipment it’d be way cool to turn Dino into the “Electromino”. I’ll do it. I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Just a reminder that if this goes political (and gubmint this and gubmint that is on its way there) I’ll shut it down. It doesn’t need to go there. Carry on!

Also if I can find the money, skills, parts, and equipment it’d be way cool to turn Dino into the “Electromino”. I’ll do it. I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We know better than that and don't want to ruin a thread, but I agree on turning something electric would be cool. Have you seen the 63 electric impala?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor