Hey GM, You're Not Fooling Me

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just a reminder that if this goes political (and gubmint this and gubmint that is on its way there) I’ll shut it down. It doesn’t need to go there. Carry on!

Also if I can find the money, skills, parts, and equipment it’d be way cool to turn Dino into the “Electromino”. I’ll do it. I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Isn't GM working on something that'll work with the eCOPO? When/if it goes on the market you'll just need to find the money.
1559681566860.png

Reactions: 1 user

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I believe there are a few things at work here in a very interrelated way:
  • Any car company has to make money in order to stay in business so it is important to make vehicles the public "wants" (the quotes are intentional, so hang on)
  • A dealership makes $$$ if they sell a brand-new vehicle but they make $$$$$$$$$ when selling a used car that has come off of lease, so it is to a dealership's advantage to lease cars
  • Safe to assume that a majority of us here outright buy vehicles & take care of them for years?
... so the true market is the group of people who think of cars as appliances that should be replaced every few years and if they get the latest whiz-bang stuff then even better, but if there is something they don't like then hey, get rid of it in a few years anyway, right?

A few weeks ago I traded-in my 2004 GMC Envoy at 229k because transmission was starting to go and to me it wasn't worth the trouble and $4k to get it replaced ... I got a 2009 GMC Acadia and I am struggling with the driver's seat.
The Envoy? It was a base model so I had 4-way manual seat (fore/aft and seatback angle) with manual lumbar support, I sometimes had 14-hour days behind the wheel with no discomfort.
The Acadia? I have a 8-way power seat but no lumbar support (my trim package doesn't qualify for lumbar), it's narrower, and I'm still trying to figure-out how to adjust the seat so I don't bop my head against the forward-angled headrest every time I hit a bump.

Moral of the story?
I could write to GM and complain about how in 15 years I think the seat design has gone backward (base model in 2004 had manual lumbar support so why isn't it standard by now? and what's up with the headrests?) but are they really going to listen to a guy who has purchased from them only twice in 16 years?

... and someone mentioned how good the GMT800 platform was. I agree but it seems no car magazine can bear to say good things about it -- maybe the journalists get too spoiled with driving the luxury loaners all the time -- so what can GM do

Reactions: 1 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Also if I can find the money, skills, parts, and equipment it’d be way cool to turn Dino into the “Electromino”. I’ll do it. I will.

I'd also be interested in a conversion for my cars, maybe a new "tuning" business will grow out of it of making engine soundtracks to replace the silence of the electric motors. :)

I think it's a matter of time ... Jaguar already has a program that they'll convert classic Jaguars to electric powertrain in a way that it can be reversed and Wheeler Dealers found a firm in California that does electric conversions of classic VWs.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Gotta admit I was mildly looking forward to this reintroduction but, as usual . . . complete disappointment. And still 25mpg max but you really get 22 in an AWD gasser.

I keep buying Euro-wagons for the wife's primary that I occasionally get to have fun in [sadly, probably just bought the last one of those recently]. 3.0 Turbo Diesel, 450 lb ft, 35mpg HW, average pushes 30, actual offroad capability even without low range when you have all that torque at 1500rpm. Ours has 4-low though. Yeah, I know, most people don't even get their Ford Raptors dirty. Between the farm and the cabin we do.

Ran into an acquaintance of mine recently that has a Raptor I have NEVER seen dirty and he had custom painted this beautiful desert scene on the tailgate apparently because his truck will never actually see it. I asked him if I could go get it dirty for him and thought he might punch me . . . I probably deserved it. :roll:

My ole Gen One Tacoma rarely IS clean . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor