High idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Hey guys, Ethan here. Recently i replaced the gas tank on my monte carlo, and now it is idling high and will not go down if i mess with the screw on the carb. Could this be due to the air in the fuel lines or does it sound more like a vacuum leak? Fast idle adjustment maybe? It was perfect before the tank swap. Any help appreciated, thanks.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Unlikely it's air, that usually gets flushed out within the first few seconds with a mechanical pump. Did you run or re-connect the fuel return line? Did you mess with the vapor (charcoal) canister? There are connections to your emissions from that can. Check for leaks with a can of starting fluid around the manifold and carb base.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
Unlikely it's air, that usually gets flushed out within the first few seconds with a mechanical pump. Did you run or re-connect the fuel return line? Did you mess with the vapor (charcoal) canister? There are connections to your emissions from that can. Check for leaks with a can of starting fluid around the manifold and carb base.
Its deadhead style so no return line, only vent line. There is one hose missing from the charcoal canister so i capped it off, could that be it?

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
hmmm maybe. I recommend checking for leaks like I mentioned earlier with a can of starter fluid around all hose fittings, vacuum lines, carb base, ect. Kind of like using soapy water to check for leaks on a tire but this time it's vacuum.
Next, a nice tool to own is a vacuum gauge, they are inexpensive and are palm sized. if it reads anything less than around -16 psi, then you have vacuum issues. It also doubles up to tune your carburetor but that's beyond this thread.
I would check your choke also, it could be stuck.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
hmmm maybe. I recommend checking for leaks like I mentioned earlier with a can of starter fluid around all hose fittings, vacuum lines, carb base, ect. Kind of like using soapy water to check for leaks on a tire but this time it's vacuum.
Next, a nice tool to own is a vacuum gauge, they are inexpensive and are palm sized. if it reads anything less than around -16 psi, then you have vacuum issues. It also doubles up to tune your carburetor but that's beyond this thread.
I would check your choke also, it could be stuck.
My choke was stuck. Never bothered to take the air cleaner off. Thanks for the help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor