High rpms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Before anything else you need either a analog dwell meter or a OBD 1 scanner such as the Brainmaster. With your car being an 84 it should be computer controlled.

The carb mounting bolts must be torqued with lb/in torque wench. If the carb mounting bolts are 60 lb/in its ok, if less then retorque to 96 lb/in. Failure to torque the carb right will warp the Qjet.

SSmooth84

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2019
Sandiego,California's
No codes come up . Ill be checking vacume leaks but don't think thats the problem. Carb seems to be good my opinion is the tach might be bad. I'll check the tourqe specs thanks .

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the engine was truly idling a 2000 RPM in park it should be very obvious without looking at the tach.
Putting it in gear from that RPM is going make the car lunge in both forward and reverse while simultaneously testing the strength of your U-joints and when driving the car it would take more braking at a stop light to keep it from creeping forward, if there is no indication the engine actually runs any different than it is a bad tach reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Analog dwell meters usually have a tach mode to check RPMs with. You can also use it to see if the computer responding rich to offset a lean mixture

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'll be ordering a aftermarket tach and see if that's the problem ill post an update after I get it hooked up .
It would still be wise to purchase either a analog dwell meter or a OBD 1 scanner, without either you are working blind with these cars. You can pick up used ones for fairly cheap on Ebay.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
An easy way to verify the idle RPM is pick up one of these photo tachs at Hobo Freight:

My tach was off by 400-500 RPM and I upgraded it with a new board.
cheap and easy fix once you isolate the issue to the tach.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Another idea was what about the air/fuel screws i haven't messed with can those bring the rpms down .

Don't touch them without either a dwell meter or OBD1 scanner. Those idle mixture affect your air fuel mixture dwell.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I got a 1984 monte carlo ss with a 305 v8 . My rpms are running high even when I'm in park . Here are some pics of how high they are running . Any ideas were to start looking?
My 79 Calais tach also runs high I was told there is a switch on the tach for 4 6 and 8 cylinder settings could be a clown from the factory set it to 6 cylinder have yet to pull the cluster to verify

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor