Historical Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The other day my dad tried to get my car set up for historical plates. Knowing that the time was coming for new plates I went on ebay and bought a 1983 Ohio license plate because my dad did the samething with his 68 442 and I figure it would look better than the same old generic plates they give you. But for some reason they didnt let him register the plates because they arent 83 plates :wtf:
licenseplate.jpg

The guy said they expired in 83 so I couldnt use them. To my knowledge the only seperating the older plates is the tags. My question is has anyone ever tried doing this or had this similar problem? When I look online for 83 plates these look exactly like mine so whats going on?

I'm sure it varies by state. I wanted the old yellow on blue plates when I got my 240Z about 15 years ago because they were correct when the car was new. I got a perfect set from an old car on a buddy's farm. When I took them to the DMV they allowed me to use them but they classified them as vanity plates which cost an additional $100 every 2 years at the time. It's a business and they'll do whatever they can to make more money. I paid it because I really liked the plates. When I sold the car I kept them because the buyer was out of state anyway.

if you do end up with vanity plates check with your insurance company, some will give you a deduction cause cars with vanity plates are easier to identify..

Aren't 83 Ohio plates white with light green lettering ( with more digits too )? I know they were in 85, but not certain about 83.

In Maryland if you use older plates on an historic vehicle they have to be the same as the year model of the car. They call it "year of manufacture plates", but in reality of course, an '85 could have been built in late '84, but the tag would have to be from '85. Most states with historic tag laws follow this rule.

In GA you can use the old plates up to 1970 with a signed paper from the DMV. I went to the GA DOT site and printed out the form. It has to be the year of the vehicle and you have to have a current tag in the vehicle at all times. I have heard of guys getting pulled over because a lot of the cops do not know about this. As long as you have the signed form and a current plate in the car, you are good. I ran one on a 1970 VW Beetle. There was no extra charge.

DoubleV said:
Aren't 83 Ohio plates white with light green lettering ( with more digits too )? I know they were in 85, but not certain about 83.
All my searches online for 83 ohio plates bring these up. I also just found out that with historical plates you dont need a front license plate 8) I think im just gonna go with the new one they give me and not cause a fuss over this im only out $10 and il just hang it on my wall or something

ILLINOIS WILL ALLOY YOU TO RUN HISTORICAL PLATES, BUT YOU HAVE TO BUY ANTIQUE VEHICLE PLATES AND CARRY THE PLATE AND CURRENT REGISTRATION WITH YOU. WITH ANTIQUE VEHICLE PLATES YOU ARE RESTRICTED TO DRIVING TO CAR SHOWS AND SERVICE STATIONS. MORE OF A HEADACHE THAN IT'S WORTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor