holley carb identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg oskee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I just got a carb at a local junkyard, it seems to be in decent shape. Its a 4 barrel square bore. I just don't know exactly how to identify what carb it is. Also it only has one metering block. Any advice is welcome.
IMG_20110316_165707.jpg
IMG_20110316_165807.jpg
IMG_20110316_165641.jpg

the numbers on the front right side of the choke horn. the holley web site has a list.

Bigg oskee said:
The sticker is scratched up, any other way to tell?
Usually the number is engraved in the choke horn. I dont recall a sticker on mine.

Oh ok, there was like a barcode sticker but I peeled it off. Its an 1850-5, is it worth getting rebuilt? I already have an edelbrock performer carb that I just rebuilt. The edelbrock seems to be missing part of the secondary linkage so the secondary isn't functioning. So is this a better place to start or would you recommend finding parts for the performer or rebuilding this one?

Thats a Holley 600. I had one but replaced it with a quadrajet and never looked back. Chances are if its from a junkyard its gonna need rebuilt. If I were you I would find a quadrajet JMO.

I'd use which ever one is cheaper to get running. I use a holley 4160 650 cfm. works great as long as you don't let a mechanic tune it. 😀

I forgot to ask but what are your plans for the car its going on? Racecar, street car or . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor