HOT ROD mag: G-bodies=beaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can't find anything for $500 anymore. That said, nice ones here can be found for $3500. I couldn't paint my car for that here at a shop.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
But, you know, there are guys out there pissing and moaning because their K-Car was lumped into the winter beater category. To each his own. 

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

God, IF there is anyone with a K Car that thinks it is worth saving has got to be a few steps short of the urinal. I mean even the Turbo K Cars were throw aways... quick, fun, but still throw-aways with time bombs under the hood...

The Fox Body comment makes a little more sense, but G Body's have a lot more room to play with, being that they're full perimeter frame cars.

Still though, as I've said before, these same types of asshat "Gurus" do the entire hobby an injustice by putting down cars that essentially the last mass produced V8/ RWD platforms built... Back in the 80's and early 90's, magazines proclaimed that '68-72 A Body's were good, throw-away beaters too... along with '68-up Novas and '70-up Camaros & Firebirds... tons of good V8 engines were grenaded on purpose for "Fun" or simply tossed into the scrap heap... Pontiac, Buick, & Olds V8's were just as common as Chevy small blocks in the 80's/Early 90's... nowadays, the average price for any decent, unmolested Pontiac V8 engine is typically north of $500 and pretty scarce at that... although I also see plenty of ruined ones, left exposed or taken apart and stored half-assed for years in a wet corner someplace... sigh. The same holds true for Olds V8's, and the now very uncommon Buick V8's and Caddy's Monster V8's... again, a big thanks to those same "rags" that described them as white elephants and suggested that everybody should run a Small Block Chevy.... good, cheap engine... but no where near as much fun as an over-square V8...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Why are you guys falling for the same stuff over and over. Obviously Hot Rod magazine stands to profit in the long run by putting it in people's heads to trash more g-bodies in the short run. The parts will probably double in price over the next 5 years. :puke: 'you must be the change you wish to see in the world' and such

People are putting g-bodies away and under car covers around here. Cadillacs are the new 'winter beaters' in my neighborhood especially mine is trashed now lol

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
My 80 malibu is my year round beater, and we get lots of snow. Maybe putting a 454 in it in the fall wasn't the best idea, but i've only slid into 1 snow bank so far....

I wouldnt necessarily call my Cutlass a beater, but i guess i do beat on it 8)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Strangely, Hot Rod never learns. Many moons go there was a racing editor named CJ Baker. In his mind, if it wasn't a BB Chevy, it was crap. A reader wrote in asking how to get more power out of his stock '75 Trans Am. Baker replied: "Discard heads, block, crank, and cam. Replace with BB Chevy parts." I didn't renew my subscription for like 20 years because of that. (I subscribe now because it's less than a dollar an issue). I am older now, so I won't cancel just because of the G-body snub.

Nov 4, 2012
Bonnewagon said:
Strangely, Hot Rod never learns. Many moons go there was a racing editor named CJ Baker. In his mind, if it wasn't a BB Chevy, it was crap. A reader wrote in asking how to get more power out of his stock '75 Trans Am. Baker replied: "Discard heads, block, crank, and cam. Replace with BB Chevy parts." I didn't renew my subscription for like 20 years because of that. (I subscribe now because it's less than a dollar an issue). I am older now, so I won't cancel just because of the G-body snub.

Hot Rod Mag sorta seems to be in that "Chevy supremacist" category, where if it isn't a 350 or a BBC, it isn't a hot rod. I'm a subscriber for 2 years now, and I think they sorta have their heads up their asses in the way that they haven't realized there is a whole world outside of just Bowties.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the magazine is sure getting some free advertising on a forum about the car they trashed... :mrgreen:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Brother Al said:
But, you know, there are guys out there pissing and moaning because their K-Car was lumped into the winter beater category. To each his own. 

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

God, IF there is anyone with a K Car that thinks it is worth saving has got to be a few steps short of the urinal. I mean even the Turbo K Cars were throw aways... quick, fun, but still throw-aways with time bombs under the hood...

The Fox Body comment makes a little more sense, but G Body's have a lot more room to play with, being that they're full perimeter frame cars.

Still though, as I've said before, these same types of asshat "Gurus" do the entire hobby an injustice by putting down cars that essentially the last mass produced V8/ RWD platforms built... Back in the 80's and early 90's, magazines proclaimed that '68-72 A Body's were good, throw-away beaters too... along with '68-up Novas and '70-up Camaros & Firebirds... tons of good V8 engines were grenaded on purpose for "Fun" or simply tossed into the scrap heap... Pontiac, Buick, & Olds V8's were just as common as Chevy small blocks in the 80's/Early 90's... nowadays, the average price for any decent, unmolested Pontiac V8 engine is typically north of $500 and pretty scarce at that... although I also see plenty of ruined ones, left exposed or taken apart and stored half-assed for years in a wet corner someplace... sigh. The same holds true for Olds V8's, and the now very uncommon Buick V8's and Caddy's Monster V8's... again, a big thanks to those same "rags" that described them as white elephants and suggested that everybody should run a Small Block Chevy.... good, cheap engine... but no where near as much fun as an over-square V8...

It's called market share. The product that captures the most market share will become the dominate product, the de facto standard just like with VHS, PC, and Bluray. They won not because they were better products, but because they out marketed their rivals to become the standard. While all the GM V8s were good, SBCs were the most numerous and became the de facto standard. Now LS engines are becoming the de facto standard, also made by GM which has the most market power of all the car makers. GM has the power to make whatever they want to be the de facto standard.

Also the more common a product is, the more useful it becomes. If you owned the only fax machine in the world it would not be very useful. But the more people who own other fax machines, the more useful the one you own becomes. Engines are a bit like that with lowering the costs and increasing the supply of parts the more common and popular it is.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Drive a Ford Fairmount or Mercury Zepher, yah some Fox bodies were that bad. I remember riding in our Fairmount on back roads, I thought the dash was going to come through the windshield. Just terrible, unreliable cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor