how can you chirp tires w/o shift kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
With that many miles a shift kit would cause more problems than anything and a solid trans mount should never be used on a street vehicle. You would be best off just enjoying the car as it is and upgrade when you can.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
khan0165 said:
a factory transmission is meant for slow smooth cruising driving, which means it's aim is to give you soft smooth unnoticeable shifts, which means as you shift the clutches engage slowly, allowing a little slip for smooth shift transition.

however, when you start putting more power and rpms and harsh driving to this technique, you get more slip and wear on the clutches/bands. This is where shift kits come in...

Shift kits essentially give you quicker clutch engagement, meaning less slip, meaning firmer harder shifts, and less wear on transmission parts (not necessarily less wear on other driveline parts).

yes, a stock 305 can make a transmission chirp, depending how aggressive the shift kit is...

however, before you start hunting for rock hard tire chirping shifts, you need to consider the durability of the rest of your driveline. An old weezing 305 is not going to like that kinda abuse, and at 210k miles, you're already pushing the life of that trans.

You will want to upgrade other driveline components before trying to race-like hard shifts...

PS: solid transmission mount = broken tail shaft, or cracked housing.
^^Perfect advice on every point.^^

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Get a manual trans :D

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I don't know how old the guy with that tired Monte, is. But when I was younger and more so when I was a teenager, You just don't know how important is was to me to be able to chirp 2nd. I thought that was the coolest thing. I'm sure most of you out there can relate. And to tell you the truth, twenty something years later I still think it's cool as HELL. Just not as high on my list of things to do.............

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
neutral bomb it :p

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
i have a shift kit in mine 350c and 373 posi. i could chrip both tires easly with the 350r. i installed a 455r, now i get alittle side ways. its fun to drive, although i havent drove it on the road in 3 years. hoping i can get it together this year.

if you got a 2004r you could adjust the TV cable, to give you a harder shift, but you will need to stay in the pedal more often. that probably wouldnt be good on the transmission nor gas mileage. i use to do this when i drag raced. after the race i change the TV cable (shift point) back to normal.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What did you do to beef up the TH350C behind your 455? There are rumors, which I think are bs, that the the TH350C is weaker than the regular TH350. I'm getting one put in a shift kit, my 2500 stall with dual remote coolers. I will be flogging it in the 1/8 behind my 403.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
i understand everything u guyr r saying, hah and im 17 and when your 17 chirping tires is sick hahahah but yea the transmission shifts fine but theres a whine in 1st gear, ill try nd post a vid later but how bad is thhe whine?

bigblockfrank

Greasemonkey
Mar 24, 2009
mt.vernon, ky
olds307 and 403 said:
What did you do to beef up the TH350C behind your 455? There are rumors, which I think are bs, that the the TH350C is weaker than the regular TH350. I'm getting one put in a shift kit, my 2500 stall with dual remote coolers. I will be flogging it in the 1/8 behind my 403.

i haven't drove the car enough to see if the 350c will hold up.like i said before, haven't been able to drive the cutty for pass 3 years. if she blows, i hunt me a th350.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
nawlins-tim said:
But when I was younger and more so when I was a teenager, You just don't know how important is was to me to be able to chirp 2nd.
lol, very true...
my first car was a 78 Camaro, TH350, and a weezing 305... The transmission was built up with a shift kit, no upgrades to the rest of the driveline. That transmission shift so hard, it chirped even with a stock 305, and after a while it started to take it's toll on the motor and rearend.

anyone here using a stage 3 kit? I tried one for the first time in a friend's Turdgen Camaro, .. not for the faint at heart :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor