how can you chirp tires w/o shift kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I had my 68' Firebird I was given a free T-400 that needed a rebuild. Of course I also added a B&M shift kit set at "street/strip". Shifted so hard, it chirped the tires with every gear change and it was pretty annoying. Eventually it broke the T-400, which is not easy to do, and I went back to a manual trans for good.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
khan0165 said:
nawlins-tim said:
anyone here using a stage 3 kit? I tried one for the first time in a friend's Turdgen Camaro, .. not for the faint at heart :shock:

:lol: Yup, that's what I did to the trans in my malibu. However, I did this as I was rebuilding the transmission, along with a few other tricks, I didn't just slap one at an old one (made that mistake before too, kablooey! :lol: ). The only time it pisses me off, is when I'm cruising through town with the cd player on, every time the trans shifts, the cd player skips, :rofl: . That and I don't know how many times my coffee has gone for a ride when I forget to hold it down before gear changes, lol.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Stage 3 kits with a 4500 stall converter what a blast i love it and ill keep on using it. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldsmoletick said:
khan0165 said:
nawlins-tim said:
anyone here using a stage 3 kit? I tried one for the first time in a friend's Turdgen Camaro, .. not for the faint at heart :shock:

:lol: Yup, that's what I did to the trans in my malibu. However, I did this as I was rebuilding the transmission, along with a few other tricks, I didn't just slap one at an old one (made that mistake before too, kablooey! :lol: ). The only time it pisses me off, is when I'm cruising through town with the cd player on, every time the trans shifts, the cd player skips, :rofl: . That and I don't know how many times my coffee has gone for a ride when I forget to hold it down before gear changes, lol.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Hey man, I understand, I'm 18. Chirping gears is cool and all, but it really proves nothing. My cutlass will run down most anything any of my friends drive, and itll roast the tires through all 3 gears, but it doesn't chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. My v6 dodge dakota with a 5 speed, I can chirp the tires... It is among the slowest of all of my friends cars. It proves nothing. Abusing a high mileage vehicle is a bad idea. Especially if its your only mode of transportation.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
marcar1993 said:
Hey man, I understand, I'm 18. Chirping gears is cool and all, but it really proves nothing. My cutlass will run down most anything any of my friends drive, and itll roast the tires through all 3 gears, but it doesn't chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. My v6 dodge dakota with a 5 speed, I can chirp the tires... It is among the slowest of all of my friends cars. It proves nothing. Abusing a high mileage vehicle is a bad idea. Especially if its your only mode of transportation.

Agreed I'm 21 it used to be cool to hotrod around but now I could care less. It's not worth breaking something or getting the unwanted attention. I barely even accelerate hard on the street, ever.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
All my vehicles have had a shift kit. I think it is one of the smart things to do on a reasonably healthy trans. Much like Khan said. However they always shift hard at the worst times. Think a posi rear end and rain or snow. My firebird has a trans performance button. Soft shifts for daily driving and hard wind the engine out shifts for aggressive driving when i hit the button. Yes you will be replacing transmission mounts unless you buy a good one. I wouldn't run a solid one but you can buy a better mount like energy suspension mounts. They don't cost a whole bunch. I have owned my firebird for 6 years now and have replaced 3 transmission mounts. It sucks. I need to just drop the extra 20 on a poly mount. Goodluck

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
"Chirping tires" is more for show, less go. It's like wheelie stands in drag racing, and lifting the left front tire in a dirt car. Looks cool, looks fast, but it actually slows you down.

I know it has been said 50x already, but on a 200k mile transmission, you wanna start babying that thing!

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
JRG53 said:
"Chirping tires" is more for show, less go. It's like wheelie stands in drag racing, and lifting the left front tire in a dirt car. Looks cool, looks fast, but it actually slows you down.

I know it has been said 50x already, but on a 200k mile transmission, you wanna start babying that thing!
i know lol im guilty of having a lead fooot :oops: but im getting a th350 to rebuild in boces to drop in it after she's
painted :twisted: but thanks for all the insight on everything...man this forum is great!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Remember with a regular 350, you will run 300 more rpm on the highway.

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
olds307 and 403 said:
Remember with a regular 350, you will run 300 more rpm on the highway.
when i turn on the switch for my converter (computer disconected) it only drop like 100rpms. i have 3:73's instead of the stock 3:42's so that really doesnt help gas mileage anyway lol. i just gotta find either a th350or a th350c thats worth rebuilding for a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor