How Common Is This Nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Where the guy screwed up was by being polite. With those types it just shows weakness

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Interacting with the public for the last few years has ruined my "niceness". I pretty much automatically assume that everyone is either a moron or a piece of sh*t until they prove otherwise. It's a pretty cynical way to be but so many people have shown me that they don't have common sense or that they'll rip anybody off.

I have sold a few things in this forum and I tell the buyer not to send the money until the get the item. I have always received payment and I don't even think about not receiving payment. If at any time I don't get paid for something I won't lose any sleep over it. I have a basic trust in people and if you treat them with with respect and dignity they will do the same.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I have sold a few things in this forum and I tell the buyer not to send the money until the get the item. I have always received payment and I don't even think about not receiving payment. If at any time I don't get paid for something I won't lose any sleep over it. I have a basic trust in people and if you treat them with with respect and dignity they will do the same.

I'm not saying there aren't any good people left out there, they're just few and far between. Pretty much everyone I've interacted with on this forum seem to be good people. I don't usually come at strangers with a disrespectful attitude but I do keep my awareness at a higher level. If you've ever been ripped off by someone you just helped out, it'll take a lot of blind trust out of you. It did me.

• Agree

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I see it differently, if you are responding to others not based on how you would naturally respond but are intent to maintain your isolation from others then your are a victim. I would rather interact with people and not give them the opportunity to feel hostility towards me due to me ignoring them are reacting to them as a threat. All these social apps are robbing people of learning how to deal with people in face to face situations.

You're mistaking me putting my guard up with rudeness. I told him thanks and kept walking. He was wearing clean street clothes and had no visible tools or parts in hand as he walked out. Kinda strange for a junkyard?

If someone has the intent on making you a victim being polite is not going to change their mind. Short of packing a gun, Not being an easy target is your best course of action and requires you to be an *******. Best case scenario the other person tells everyone they ran into this ******* today. Worse case you get the sh*t kicked out of you and your stuff is all stolen.

Last edited:
  • Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not saying there aren't any good people left out there, they're just few and far between. Pretty much everyone I've interacted with on this forum seem to be good people. I don't usually come at strangers with a disrespectful attitude but I do keep my awareness at a higher level. If you've ever been ripped off by someone you just helped out, it'll take a lot of blind trust out of you. It did me.

I run my own business in the legal world so I get to see every type of person, and I can show you bounced cheques from some clients. If you think it's easy for me just to sue them for payment I would never recoup the billable hours I spend on a file collecting relatively small amounts. I think there are more good people than bad but it's easy in this world to live in your own world without any strangers. I choose to live in the world that doesn't require a keyboard to join

Last edited:

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I always wonder how idiots with a big mouths survive. There are plenty of people out there with weapons who would shut idiots like him up.

I run my own business in the legal world so I get to see every type of person, and I can show you bounced cheques from some clients. If you think it's easy for me just to sue them for payment I would never recoup the billable hours I spend on a file collecting relatively small amounts. I think there are more good people than bad but it's easy in this world to live in your own world without any strangers. I choose to live in the world that doesn't exist on a keyboard

You are correct. Most people are good. And that is why *ssh*les get away with it like you stated earlier. People allow them to do it because most people are nice and not looking for confrontation. Odds are that guy acted that way because no one has stood up to his sh*t.

It's the most basic of animal instincts. Predators go for the young, weak, or old. Lions don't go for the Cape buffalo Bull in his prime because they know he will **** them up. So they go for the easy prey.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You're mistaking me putting my guard up with rudeness. I told him thanks and kept walking. He was wearing clean street clothes and had no visible tools or parts in hand as he walked out. Kinda strange for a junkyard?

If someone has the intent on making you a victim being polite is not going to change their mind. Short of packing a gun, Not being an easy target is your best course of action and requires you to be an *******. Best case scenario the other person tells everyone they ran into this ******* today. Worse case you get the sh*t kicked out of you and your stuff is all stolen.

I did not use the word "rude" and I just don't understand why anyone has to put up a guard because they are in the presence of a stranger. Is everyone is a foe until they are a friend?. Friends are more apt to do friends wrong than strangers.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Maybe it is as I hoped: an isolated incident. The funny thing is if I shy away from doing what I want the only person I am hurting is myself by handing the things I enjoy over to the scum. That being said, knives are a much bigger threat than a gun; especially up here.

However, giving into your fears will paralyze you in life. If you speak and act with confidence people will see it and respond accordingly; developing a notable physical presence helps too. Off to the gym I go...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Thankfully I never ran into somebody like that at a yard. Worst thing I had happen was another cusomer box my truck in the parking lot. Spent an hour asking strangers if they own the truck that was blocking me in. Found the guy who was nice enough and quickly went back with me to move his truck. He thought my truck was an yard employee's. Most of the local yards have tiny parking lots that easily overflow.

However, I have met plenty of A holes like the one in the story outside of junk yards.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I did not use the word "rude" and I just don't understand why anyone has to put up a guard because they are in the presence of a stranger. Is everyone is a foe until they are a friend?. Friends are more apt to do friends wrong than strangers.

Not saying you did. The reason for putting up a guard is not solely because he's was stranger. It was his off comment about my tools. It wasn't a head nod, how's it going, or what's up? I'm there to find parts, he should be there to find parts. Neither of us should be there to make friends. We weren't working on cars next to each other, we weren't inline getting ready to pay. Simply passing by. I passed by multiple strangers after the incident and didn't think anything of them. When I meet someone they are neither a foe nor a friend. That doesn't mean I take up a fighting stance while shouting obscenities at them. Nor does it mean that I trust them and we are the best of buddies. All I'm doing is mentally preparing for things to go either way.

Point is know your environment. If your local junkyard is a good community by all means carry on that way. Infact I'm jealous. I shouldn't have to be on higher alert. But alas that's the way it is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor