How corrosive is brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Being that I just had the body off the frame of my car, I had to disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder which caused the fluid to drain out of the reservoir and on to my frame and upper a arm. Busy with all the other work I was doing I forgot to wipe it off. Here we are 6 or so weeks later, I went to put my lines back on today and saw all the fluid on my frame still sitting there. My first thought was "Oh, S***!" I wiped the fluid off as best as possible with what I had on hand and the fluid are through all the layers of paint that were on the frame. I don't believe the rust that was underneath the paint was any worse, but I tend to sweat small stuff and I'm wondering how corrosive brake fluid is? Especially being it sat on the frame for 6-7 weeks. Anything I should do?

P.S. The body and frame were (and still are) inside my buddy's dry heated garage.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I had a very similar problem when I did my brake lines. The fluid won't hurt the metal but it will, as you found out eat any paint off.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Brake fluid is not corrosive! It is a 'base' with a fairly neutral ph balance across all brands. Speaking on dot3 idk about 4 and 5.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Clean up and repaint where the brake fluid has stripped off the paint and you are good to go.
Btw water is as good an agent as anything else for removing brake fluid, make sure everything is properly dried before applying the paint.

Roger.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pencero said:
Brake fluid is not corrosive! It is a 'base' with a fairly neutral ph balance across all brands. Speaking on dot3 idk about 4 and 5.

Really?....I have used brake fluid is to removed rust......

Brake Fluid is Corrosive

Brake fluid is a very corrosive substance. Even if you are topping off the vehicles reservoirs, you may spill some brake fluid onto your engine or surrounding area. Make sure that you wipe it off immediately as it can eat through metal and other unprotected surfaces. If you get the fluid onto your skin, wash it off immediately, and it should go without saying, if you consume the fluid, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
pontiacgp said:
Brake fluid is a very corrosive substance....Make sure that you wipe it off immediately as it can eat through metal and other unprotected surfaces.

I wonder, what do they protect the inside of METAL brake lines and other components with to prevent them from being eaten through? :lol:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Wikipedia to the rescue.

"Most brake fluids used today are glycol-ether based. Brake fluids must not corrode the metals used inside components such as calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinders and ABS control valves. They must also protect against corrosion as moisture enters the system. Additives (corrosion inhibitors) are added to the base fluid to accomplish this." I'll interpret this statement - the brake fluid does not corrode the metal - the entrained water does. I couldn't find an explanation why glycol-ether softens paint, but I've observed that it's a fairly slow reaction. I had to clean and repaint a control arm and coil spring because I had a leaky copper washer on one of my new calipers. Wash with water, then scuff beyond the damage with 400 grit, then clean with brake cleaner and repaint.

"Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years under non-racing conditions. Many manufacturers also require periodic fluid changes to ensure reliability and safety. Once installed, moisture diffuses into the fluid through brake hoses and rubber seals and, eventually, the fluid will have to be replaced when the water content becomes too high. Electronic testers and test strips are commercially available to measure moisture content, however moisture test strips were taken off the market because they absorb moisture in the air before they can be used. The corrosion inhibitors also degrade over time. Degraded inhibitors cause corrosion in the braking system. The first metal to corrode is copper. You can determine when it is time to replace brake fluid when copper ions hit 200ppm. New fluid should always be stored in a sealed container to avoid moisture intrusion."

"DOT 5 is silicone fluid and the above does not apply. Ideally, silicone fluid should be used only to fill non-ABS systems that have not been previously filled with glycol based fluid. Any system that has used glycol based fluid will contain moisture; glycol fluid disperses the moisture throughout the system and contains corrosion inhibitors. Silicone fluid does not allow moisture to enter the system, but does not disperse any that is already there, either. A system filled from dry with silicone fluid does not require the fluid to be changed at intervals, only when the system has been disturbed for a component repair or renewal. The United States armed forces have standardised on silicone brake fluid since the 1990s. Silicone fluid is used extensively in cold climates, particularly in Russia and Finland."

Silicone can cause OEM brake rubber materials to swell. Ever get brake cleaner on nitrile gloves? They soften then fall apart. This is what can happen if you use DOT5 with old school brake components.

The best bet is to stick with good DOT3 from a sealed container, and bleed and flush every 2-5 years if you want to keep the car. You can crack open each bleed screw one at a time, attach a short hose to a collection cup, and keep topping off with the fluid level in the master cylinder. This way you have fresh fluid without introducing air into the system.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Intragration said:
pontiacgp said:
Brake fluid is a very corrosive substance....Make sure that you wipe it off immediately as it can eat through metal and other unprotected surfaces.

I wonder, what do they protect the inside of METAL brake lines and other components with to prevent them from being eaten through? :lol:

the brake fluid in the lines has no moisture but brake fluid is hygroscopic which attracts and holds moisture with corrodes metal. Try cleaning rust with brake fluid and I think you'll be surprised on the job it does.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
newer brake fluid is not corrosive! what ssn posted is correct. Old brake fluid was much more corrosive than newer formulas which are a base w/ milder additives. If not for the fact plants such as the one I worked at sometimes water the product down to meet their demand even though in many instances they are not supposed to* yes I worked at the plant and that did happen. Of course if the fluid has water in it it's not 'good' for the frame but its not an acid was my point.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you were talking about synthetic brake fluid then you should have said synthetic brake fluid that instead of brake fluid so it would be clear what you are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor