How do I know it's a 383

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If it is an older 2-piece rear main block, the balancer will have a scallop in it if you can get under there to see.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flu-720111/make/gmc
I know this is not a stock balancer but it's the first pic I found.

Found these pictures on the interwebs.

Harmonic balancer has scallop like this
400 Bal.jpg

Flex plate will have a balance weight similar to this.
400 Flx.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
These days no one really uses 400 SBC cranks for 383 strokers when you can get an Eagle or Scat crank that is cast or forged for a reasonable price plus they can be external as well as internally balanced which would eliminate the telltale weighted flexplate and balancer.
Probably the best bet would be pull the pan it might have stampings on the crankshaft and would probably have 6.0 aftermarket rods.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I’ll echo what others have said here. If there’s no supporting paperwork, assume it’s a 350.

Honestly, it’s all in the tuning and setup. Yes, generally, 383s are torquier than 350s, but like any other kind of engine, there are 350s that run like raped apes, and 383s that run like dogs. If you drive it, and it meets your “butt dyno” expectations, I’d make him a reasonable offer on it.

If he keeps insisting “But it’s a 383!” I’d tell him, “Look buddy, I’m not saying you’re a liar, but with no paperwork or evidence, I’ve got to assume it’s a 350, so that’s what I’m going to pay you for.”

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Seriously, without receipts and a way to reconcile them to the unit in question, it's a core. Who knows what's really in it...might be a krylon rebuild, or might be the real deal. How lucky do you feel?

Remember, every SBC came out of a Corvette, and is a 350...even when the deck stamp codes to a 267.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
When I got my 383 I had to get a stroker oilpan and said balancer

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It will have 5 or 10 valve cover bolts, an oil fill tube behind the water pump, and the distributor turns counterclockwise
That is my favorite 350 to stroke as well.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor