How do I know it's a 383

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Hate to tell you this but their is no easy way to tell , like 565 bbchevy said most people use aftermarket stroker kits . I built one back a couple years ago and used a scat system its just easier comes complete and balanced , ready to go . If you really want to confirm if its a 383 or not you can pull a plug a measure cylinder volume with piston at BDC . This is assuming the guy selling you the car understands what your doing ! If he doesn't he is not going to like the idea of you putting fluid down the cylinder and then retrieving to measure , and this is a B CH to do in car especially with headers !

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO if the seller is going to say it is a 383 then it is up to him to provide receipts for parts and machine shop work or otherwise tear the engine down enough to verify it does have a stroker crankshaft and a 0.030 overbore if not then assume it is whatever the block casting number checks out to be.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You have gotten the general consciences and your kinda just buying an engine. He is trying to pass it off as a 383 - is his price reflecting that?? If it really matters you can tell an externally balanced 383, and they say you can pull a spark plug and check the stroke measuring BDC to TDC w/ welding rod (I tried w/ no luck). Things you can verify is the block casting # , check the block stamped numbers RB FRT to see if it was decked. You would think a 383 would have some performance heads and intake. If it is a 383 you still don't know if it's a cast/hyper set-up or has forged internals. You really don't even know if it's a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt block. Sounds like your just buying the engine so I take it it's not in the car - I would have to pull the pan if I was buying it !!

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Even the block casting number is no indicator as the 010 blocks came in both two and four bolt mains. it gets even nastier if the block is a gen II or a vortec because they are pretty much specific unto themselves for a lot of parts. If the vendor is claiming an .060" overbore then you do not even have a 383, it is likelier closer to either a 385 or a 388. In any event at the very least you need to pull the oil pan and take a peek at the reciprocating assembly to see what's there. If present, the aftermarket components will display markings and id's markedly different than what the factory would be.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the vendor is claiming an .060" overbore then you do not even have a 383
No that was me I meant to put 0.030 over for 383, and it would be a 388 CI at 0.060 over but yes assuming aftermarket rotating assembly the parts should be there.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
You have gotten the general consciences and your kinda just buying an engine. He is trying to pass it off as a 383 - is his price reflecting that?? If it really matters you can tell an externally balanced 383, and they say you can pull a spark plug and check the stroke measuring BDC to TDC w/ welding rod (I tried w/ no luck). Things you can verify is the block casting # , check the block stamped numbers RB FRT to see if it was decked. You would think a 383 would have some performance heads and intake. If it is a 383 you still don't know if it's a cast/hyper set-up or has forged internals. You really don't even know if it's a 2 bolt or a 4 bolt block. Sounds like your just buying the engine so I take it it's not in the car - I would have to pull the pan if I was buying it !!
I dont know about the welding rod , but you can cc the cylinder volume just like you do heads and get very accurate results . Its just a royal pain to do it in the car .

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
If you can get the oil pan off, look for block reliefs for the connecting rods and connecting rod bolts that do not look factory machined. Most blocks will require some relieving on the bottom of the block and the backside of the bores to clear the rods and cap bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JeffinNashvilleTN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2019
The flywheel flange of a 400 crank is a different shape than a 350
I Googled it. Is this a 400 sb crank?
E91E6D1C-1529-4340-9183-04AE2A36CF7E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor