How do you remove clear coat from Hurst Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
I just purchased a 83 Hurst with only 11,000 miles. The clear coat is pealing from wheels. How car you take it off without ruining the chrome.
Thanks

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
When I refinished my old Firebird wheels I used the KLEEN Aircraft Paint Remover to strip the clear remaining clear coat from the wheels and it worked great. I sprayed it on and let it sit for like 5 minutes and scraped it all off. I used some aluminum brite to clean them really good and then just some soap and water to remove any type of residue. Then I just used DupliColor clear coat wheel paint.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
air craft remover. let it sit in a vented area.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Already covered but yeah paint stripper... Then polish those wheels to mirrors with super fine sand paper, and then a buffing and polishing wheel on a dremel or similar tool. Then re clear for years of no hassle...

Then people might dissagree with me, but paint will dull the shine, you can use floor wax sealant... Kinda like mop and glow or something similar. Won't dull the shine... But will require more maintenance to keep the shine looking good.

Edit: I was thinking aluminum... My bad. :lol:

Hey Ritter, do you work for Napa? Can't help but notice your avatar picture... I work for Napa. :p

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
RITTER said:
When I refinished my old Firebird wheels I used the KLEEN Aircraft Paint Remover to strip the clear remaining clear coat from the wheels and it worked great. I sprayed it on and let it sit for like 5 minutes and scraped it all off. I used some aluminum brite to clean them really good and then just some soap and water to remove any type of residue. Then I just used DupliColor clear coat wheel paint.

+1 KLEEN Aircraft Paint Remover is the right stuff, just be careful, make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves that sh*t is dangerous,

IMG_0074.jpg

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I used aircraft stripper on my rims, for the lip, and it didn't touch the clearcoat.....didn't remove any of it. I tried several times. Spraying, letting it sit. Several times. Mine may have a different clear on it, but the stripper did not work. I have used it before with great results, but not on these wheels. There are some places on the wheels where the clearcoat has come off, and it looks about 1/16" thick.......I'm gonna go the fine steel wool route, then polish with a buffing padd and dremel, but man it's gonna take a while.

BTW, I realize this is an old thread, but I had to chime in.

st1nger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2011
Soda blaster soda will stip everything but will not harm the chrome shine you can soda blast you whole car as it sits and will not effect chrome glass or rubber will remove painted products just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor