HELP How do you remove steering column plastic cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Hey everyone, I just finished up re-painting all my interior plastic pieces & the last piece I need to clean up is the plastic cover/housing that goes around the steering column, which by the looks of it is one piece. I have seen videos of how to remove the steering wheel which is easy enough. Is there a bolt or bolts that hold that section of the steering column with the blinker lever, ignition, etc. so that it comes off completely without removing any of the levers or ignition switch, I figured it would be easier to tape off the levers and other exposed parts to paint the plastic housing vs removing all the internal parts & having to re-build once painted.

Pictures or YouTube videos would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The column is a pot metal assembly that houses everything. I am getting ready to paint mine and I will just remove the steering wheel and column from the car and paint the whole assembly. Not worth the effort to completely disassemble. End does not justify the means and I have repaired hundreds of columns.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
The column is a pot metal assembly that houses everything. I am getting ready to paint mine and I will just remove the steering wheel and column from the car and paint the whole assembly. Not worth the effort to completely disassemble. End does not justify the means and I have repaired hundreds of columns.
Thanks.. I was hopeful but knew ultimately that was going to be the answer. 😂:cautious:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I recently painted a floor shift tilt column that I removed from a Monte SS that will go in my Regal, I already had the steering wheel off and I removed the tilt lever by unscrewing it and then just pulled out the turn signal lever that I replaced with a new black one without cruise control.
I just tapped off the ignition lock and anything else I didn't want painted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor