How does a T56 fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2014
I am most likely getting a LS engine. I'm not quite sure which one it is (LS1, LS2, etc.). At the moment it has a 4L60E and I want to put a T56 transmission in it. I was wondering how the transmission would fit. (Transmission tunnel, where shifter comes up, etc.) Practically any adjustments I have to make. I'm know I'll have to buy a conversion kit, but I want to make sure I don't have to do too much work before I get the T56. If there is a forum that I missed that describes this, please give me the link. Thank you.

You'll likely need to open up the tunnel because the T-56 is both wide and long. I was able to use a 8-12 piece of sheetmetal to cover the hole.

Attachments

• T56-1.jpg
    T56-1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • T-56-2.jpg
    T-56-2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • T-56-3.jpg
    T-56-3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,040
Alright, thank you for the reply. Don't want to get into too much trouble with a transmission if I don't have to, but that doesn't seem too bad.

I installed mine without any floorboard mods other then the hole for the shifter.... Also chopped and modded my og 2004r crossmember , and used the John Bzdel clutch pedal, cut stock driveshaft, working great so far! :mrgreen: hardest part is finding a center console that fits well.. I have a GP center console that I plan on installing but will need modding to fit!! :wink:

You should be fine, the t56 uses the same crossmember as the 700r4 and 4l60e transmissions. Only thing You will have to do is cut the hole for the shifter. Just do a pilot hole from the bottom and you should be fine.

With a swap item like an ls related product, there are many variables as to where you set everything, which make a difference on how oil pans , low mount front accessories & trans tunnels work out.
with my 99'ls1/ t-56 install , I slit the top trans tunnel metal, beat it a little, & filler strip. I lower setting engine& trans (3/4" lower) would have cleared, but had other clearance issues such as my low mount ac & choice of oil pan.
LS1 tech.com has a whole g-body swap thread in the conversions section, but as I said things vary.

Note in the photos in my earlier post where the seat bracket are...I had the seats cranked all the way back...and the shifter sits just ahead of them. I had already swapped a Camaro T-5 in for the TH350 (had to make a fugly tilted trans mount pad on the crossmember to make the T-5 sit upright to use the G-bellhousing). The T-56 shifter was about 1-1/2" back from the T-5. The T-5 shifter came up almost exactly in the center of the shifter hole in the console that came with the car. I did not use the console with the T-56. I knew some day I'd be glad I took all the photos...back in 2002! Car and trans are long gone.

Attachments

• T56-3.jpg
    T56-3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 798
generally speaking with the generic set back plates and stock 700r4 cross member all ls based engines should fit. the stock fbody pan should work with no notching and the truck pans work aswell they just hang 2in. smaller pulley on the ps pump for truck pulleys is all thats needed. No need to over complicate a ls swap. check my fb facebook.comlsxswapz

i'm in the middle of swaping a ls1 out of a 02 tans am into my 88 mc. The fbody pan "should " fit but it really doesnt unless you like it setting on the crossmember. the mechanic that is helping me tried several ways to make the pan clear but no luck. im using the transdap set back plates so i cant see why those would effect anything compared to another brand.. on that note, the fbody alt and ps pump did fit, close but not hitting anything. i will be relocating my ac comprssor and switching to a smaller/ newer one... i'm currently hunting for a ctsv oil pan so i dont have to worry about this issue anymore, plan on lowering 2" all around so i'm avoiding the muscle car oil pan which hangs down a little too much for my liking. as far as the trans tunnel, fits like a glove with the correct crossmember that we purchased from summit. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor