How Exactly Do You Perform a Tune Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
all i got to say is WOW

why are you guys telling him to change all them parts?

heres my take on a tune up

remove plugs check for color and smell if they are good clean,set gap and re-install
check ohms on the wires (should be 1 ohm per foot) if they look good not spongy and no oil on them put them back on
check cap and rotor if it looks like theres some carbon in there replace (carbon tracking will cause a miss-fire) if all ok re-install
hold the airfilter up to the light if you can see light through it its good put it back on
thats a proper tune up

for cars that havent been run in a while

check to see how old the fuel filter looks if its crusty replace also on the same line check the fuel quality this is important and i have seen it on many cars if that fuel is nasty and varnished up DO NOT RUN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that varnish will stick to the valve stems an seize them in place. you need to flush the entire fuel system out.

as far as everything else goes
trans service if you are unsure of when it was serviced do one i prefer to have it flushed gets out ALL the old oxidized fluid
brakes your better off to see how much pad you have left if it looks good (the friction material should be double the size of the steel) either take a scotchloc pad to the rotors or have them resurfaced
and to save you some trouble in the future
NEVER start a car without either removing plugs and squirting some oil in each cyl or changing the oil

Because what you said is an inspection. In my opinion a tune up implies replacing stuff. If he asked what should I inspect on my car then that is a different story. My opinion of course.

I'd just add to replace the hose leading to the radiator, redo the brake fluid, and make sure the alternator belt is secure. Also probably buy new battery terminal cables on a car that sat long time if they have cuts / tears or the connection to battery seems weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor