How many factory 4-speed 1979 El Caminos did GM make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
I have one now and am in the process of deciding what to do with it. It got quite a few rare options but it has a TH400 in it right now. For options it's got dual power bucket seats, condsole, tilt, pw,pl, AM/FM/8-track, delay&pulse wiper and AC. It's yellow with tan interior. It has a GMC emblem on the grille but says Conquista on the doors. Minor rust but all the exterior trim is there and nice-even the bedcap trim! It'd make a nice parts car but I would like to know some numbers on it first. Thanks, Jabin

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If the car has a turbo 400 in it now, do you have some documentation that the car (truck) originally had a 4 speed in it? Secondly, if it is an original 4 speed vehicle, do you have the 4 speed parts to put it back to original? as far as rarity goes, I can't tell you. I have a book here that says that the 4 speed trans was available with both the 305 & 350 engines in the El Camino in 1978, and the 4 speed was available with the 305 in the Malibu in 1978. Also, according to the book, the 4 speed was available with the 267 and 305 in both the Malibu and the El Camino. I would imagine that the production numbers are pretty low.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
Okay, update: I found the build sheet and it is supposed to have a bench seat with an M20 code 4 speed manual transmission. So the dual power bucket seats and matching console appear to be taken from a 1978-80 Regal. I plan on putting a bench back in it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor