How much Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
Alright how much paint would I need to buy to paint a t top cutlass? If I where to buy paint. Does any one know?

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
x2 i need this answer as well

justwhisen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2009
buy from your local paint store. spend the money for a GOOD base coat/clear coat system. Orlieys has good paint, they can answer most of your questions as well.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
In the old days, when painting acrylic enamel we used to order a gallon and a quart for a car. Today's color/clear paint covers much better, so you wont need as much, but I cant tell you how much.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The last few cars I painted all needed about 1 gallon of each: primer, base coat, and clear. Here's the list:
1989 Toyota pickup
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
1987 Toyota Supra

I used Omni AU (PPG line) on the pickup and caddy and Nason on the Supra.

I would think that you would use about that amount depending on the type of paint and any re-do's. In all three paint jobs, I wetsanded the primer and did have some paint left over, but it worked out better to have a little extra paint.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
1 gallon is plenty for a car

After you mix your reducer and hardener in with it you have 1 1/2 - 2 gallons (depending on the mixing ratio)

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It all depends on what color your shooting and what your trying to cover.

I've been told that generally a gallon of paint along with a gallon of reducer (2 sprayable gallons) is enough to do the typical G-body. However you may want a bit more than that if your changing colors and needing to jamb the vehicle and underside of trunk lid, etc.

When I talked to my friend at the local paint supply store he mentioned the above is typical. However they had a case where a guy was painting a Monte Carlo with a Candy Apple Red color and ended up using 2 gallons of paint (4 sprayable gallons) because it just wasn't covering well at all. He was also jambing the car too.

FWIW, House of Kolor recommends 5-6 qts. of base coat for a intermediate size vehicle.

If you go with a primer/sealer that is close in color to your base coat, this will help you out more.

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
Thank you all I was gonna go with the candy apple green. I believe its similar to whats on the new camaros. My cutlass at the moment has the dark blue with flakes. I would like to paint everything to match. Thank you all again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor