how to change the valve cover gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
hey, i have a 88 cutlass supreme with a stock 305.I bought some valve cover gaskets and have i dont have a clue what to do. Could someone please give me some advise

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
assuming they are simular to my 350 gaskets, you should just be able to remove the valve cover, take off the old gasket and if its a rubber gasket, place it in place and tighten the cover back down, however if it is a paper gasket, i may be wrong, but you probably need to put silicone on both sides.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
I would recomend getting a repair manual specific to your car, such as the ones from Haynes or Chilton. They have in depth instructions on how to repair or replace pretty much everything, along with pics and illustrations.For the question you asked, the instructions above are right on,just remember to clean everything very thuroughly,removing all traces of the old gasket and and sealers and oils on the valve covers and heads.

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Make sure when you put them back on that you don't over tighten them and make sure not to tighten one bolt all the way, rotate around tightening them the same amount until you feel comfortable with how much they are tightened. Start up the engine and if you see smoke it's most likely some oil that came out of the old valve cover, so don't worry. Keep checking after that to make sure there are no leaks.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Do NOT over tighten the vale cover either because this will cause the new gasket not to seal. In fact when you have the covers removed, you want to make sure that the surface is “true” and not bent. This can be done with anything that would be a good straight edge. Also the torque spec for most valve covers is arounf 6 -7 lbs. Can't recall what is is for the 305 engine but you can look this up...

classic_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
thanks, i was thinking about waitng to change to gaskets until i get chrome valve covers, but im having second thoughts about fixing up the 305. everyone tells me to just get a 307 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor