How to free a stuck piston ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Alright, plow buggy has a dead hole. #1 only shows 50psi. 95-105 for the rest. Supposedly had rings done prior to me buying it, had not been started. I have no idea how long it sat with brand new rings not running. I'm guessing stuck ring, gonna try any tricks I can before pulling it apart. It can't be THAT stuck. Of course it could be a cylinder wall issue, but let's hope it's not.

My plan was to fill the cylinder (at bdc) with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone tomorrow, and leave it for 2 weeks (because I fly to work for 2 weeks Wednesday morning.) Then assess it when I get back.

What do you think? Any other ideas? I'm all ears.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Marvel Mystery Oil, for one, or something called Kroil, aka "The Oil that Creeps". Your 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone is a combination I have never heard of, like a lot of things I suspect, and given the propensity of Acetone to evaporate rather rapidly, just wondering if its purpose here is to act like a thinner or dilutant for the ATF so it will ooze on down into the ring land and loosen things up.

Anyway, "fly to work", hope your arms aren't too tired by the time you get there, those head winds can be brutal and smacking into a goose can really ruin your day.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Agree with CopperNick on the MMO or I ,have to get the name of it, a silicone lubricant that will loosen it. The acetone mix will possibly work though the two week wait could bit you.
Though diesel fuel or Kerosene and drain the oil after may do it as well. Most people trust MMO and won’t hurt oil. Hopefully thy didn’t align the rings improperly.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I suspect, and given the propensity of Acetone to evaporate rather rapidly, just wondering if its purpose here is to act like a thinner or dilutant for the ATF so it will ooze on down into the ring land and loosen things up.
Marvel Mystery Oil would be my go to.

A buddy at the dealer would keep a spray bottle of 50/50 ATF and CRC on his bench. I asked him what it was and he explained that the CRC would thin the ATF to leach into tight spots and then the CRC would evap and just leave the lubricant behind. I thought it was pretty crafty.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Hopefully thy didn’t align the rings improperly.
That was my first suspicion, and honestly I think it's pretty likely.
I bet this stuff would work great, it's made by GM expressly to free stuck rings.

The part number has since been superceded, the one they call out goes for like $200. No thanks.

I tried to find this stuff for a buddy once. In fact I'm pretty sure the first search result on Google for this part number shows a post made by him about our hunt on a duramax forum lol.

Problem is this rig still isn't running, so adding anything to the fuel is out of the picture.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
That was my first suspicion, and honestly I think it's pretty likely.

I tried to find this stuff for a buddy once. In fact I'm pretty sure the first search result on Google for this part number shows a post made by him about our hunt on a duramax forum lol.

Problem is this rig still isn't running, so adding anything to the fuel is out of the picture.

In the TSB you dump it straight down the plug holes.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Try a 18psi of boost spike at 3000rpm... loosens things up real fast.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor