How To Remove Window Trim (with pics)

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
any know how to remove the inside roof support plastic thing? lol basically the piece that goes from the dash to the roof. i triied removing a few screws i seen around it and i can get it to wiggle a bit, but the little tabs on the ends seem stuck on something and i cant get it loose. its a 1987 cutlass supreme.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Hello!
I was wondering if this proceedure and tool also works on the rear window trim on a 3rd Gen Monte Carlo (1979)?

Thanks,
Russ

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Great post Blake! I tried practicing on some junk cars at the yard, but now have a good idea on how to do it when I find some nice donors. Thanks again..tim

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
I used a flatblad screw driver,didn't brake the clips or bent/scratch the trim

ADentice

Apprentice
Jul 25, 2014
Buffalo, NY
get-attachment.aspx
would anyone be able to help me with how i would go about taking off this piece of trim? this is the only rust spot on the whole car just about and i dont want it to get any worse than it already is

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
mr evil said:
Hydros4life said:
how about the small side window trim getting some new ones and tryn to find away to replace them without messing up my new paint job....

As I recall, the trim has pins that are actually part of holding the window in. If you remove the upper panel inside the car you will see the pins, they are held with speed nuts. Can't recall how many, but should be fairly easy to see. Once the nuts are removed, gently tap the pins outward-evenly around the window or else you could bend/snap the trim. Carefully cut away any sealant that may be sticking as you do this.

I remember this being a pretty straightforward operation once you dig into it. As for your new paint, if there is any overspray onto the trim, carefully use an edge around the trim to ensure you dont pull any paint away with the trim.

Carefully install new trim in reverse order 8)

Sorry, no pics or video of the procedure.
This would work for 81-88 quarter window trim(like my Cutlass), but what about my 1980 Monte. Looks like the trim is separate from the glass. I want to remove this trim, but also don't want to mess it up, to fix a rust issue. Do I just pry up with a plastic pry bar, or what? I have already removed the interior trim, and can see the window is held in from the inside with 3 brackets and butyl. Any help would be appreciated.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Nobody?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
crucial118 said:

Same process. All the HT cars I have seen over the years the trim is bonded to the glass. The Vinyl top cars got the flat glass with no trim.

If you do this on a sunny day it will remove easier with a little heat and gentle outward pressure. You can also cut away at the butyl with a sharp knife as well. Be careful and take your time though as I have popped more than one window trying to take them out over the years.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor