How to tell if frame has been cut for hydros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowtieheart

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2013
I'm about to buy an 84 Cutlass and wanted to make sure the frame hasn't been cut and had hydros before. I'm planning on the famous Ls swap. Any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated:) I will also be starting a build thread, with pics once I have the car.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
the "frame" itself can be disquised/grinded down,and clean up by a good "cover-up artist" :roll: check the front upper a-arms,see if they were cut out to accept the cylinders and also check the trunk "shelf" as there would be cutout's also for the rear cylinders.also give attention to the lower spring parches on the rearend,as some opt to cut this off and build a enclosure for the "ball joint" assembly.if you have suspision as to the cutty having being juiced,id say pass and wait for another? as a lo-lo NOT done right,(99% propability,UNLESS its from the L.And that invented them :wink: )can be a horrible expirience when it come's to trying to restore it back to the original cond.

Bowtieheart

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2013
Would the car drive any differently? I test drove the car a couple days ago and it seemes pretty smooth.

Pico79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
if it was redone correctly the ride will be just as good as new, check for stress cracks under the a-arms and near or around the rear arches. those are the weak points on a car that was lifted and not reinforced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor