Hubs (expensive vs cheap) place of origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Overgreasing can compromise the sealing of the bearing

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2018
If I ever get to doing the blazer brake swap, I'm probably just going to run the hubs I got at the wrecking yard they spin fine so if they don't make noise...if it ain't broke don't fix it....Got the parts sitting in storage just no time/money to do it...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I ended up using the hubs from my junkyard spindles. So far no noises or bearing growl. When I first got them, I spun them and they seemed to have some resistance. I noticed some of the junkyard hubs you were able to spin them and they kept spinning. Probably a good sign that they were well worn..
I did pack them with grease by removing the sensor plug/ wire and just stuck a zerk fitting on the end of a grease gun and pumped away, replaced the plug and so far so good.
It would be easy enough to make a fixture that holds a grease fitting...or if you want to go with the Riffraff diesel fittings. https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/front-abs-grease-able-block-off-fitting-99-16/

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I shelled out for Timkens and they were made in Ohio. A few years later I sprung for SKF, supposedly top of the line, and when they showed up they were marked, 'Made in Korea'. I will probably run the Timkens on the coupe, as it may see some track time and put the SKFs on the wagon as it will be coddled. These are supposed to be lubed for life...I'm not sure pumping grease into the housings will actually get anything more into the bearings themselves. The sealing tolerances are pretty tight on this style of double roller bearing.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
To be clear, the Timkens were from four years ago. I have heard there have been changes in the company, and they may be farming them out now. Sometimes RockAuto will identify country of origin in their product details. Kore3 used to sell exclusively SKFs with their kits. You could give them a call and find out of theirs are US- or Sweden-produced units.

Last edited:

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
My .02 here. I have done this swap on G Body's and S10 pickups several times. I have also pulled and sold several more pairs of these spindle / hub assemblies. First, I have never gotten a bad hub from the junk yard. Lucky... maybe. I have also just bought new ones for piece of mind, and the fact that I didn't feel like cleaning old rusty parts. These hubs are sealed, and in stock form, have no way to lubricate them. Only (1) time have I ever seen grease inside the hub's housing. It was obvious it was applied to the outer edge of the hub's housing to aid in sealing out water. Some new hubs come with a rather thick o-ring, that most installers throw away. It's thickness, plus the backing plate, make installing the hub retaining bolts a little tougher. Some new hubs do not come with this o-ring, although most new hubs share the same part #513200, regardless of the name on the box. Curious if any of you guys who have sprung for the "premium" brand had the o-ring in the box. In my opinion, the preferred method of installation is to grease the hub's housing, install the o-ring to seal out water, and torque the bolts to 80 ft/lbs. Snip the ABS sensor flush, and torque it's bolt to 13 ft/lbs. Tightening these bolts correctly will help aid in sealing out water. The RiffRaff zerk fitting is nice. It's probably not necessary, but will also aid in keeping water out of the bearing. I will probably buy them for the Salon build I am working on now. To sum this up... bearing quality is probably similar no matter who's name is on the box. Keep water out to prolong the life, and as stated above... you'll hear/feel the bearing failing before it leaves you stranded.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
My .02 here. I have done this swap on G Body's and S10 pickups several times. I have also pulled and sold several more pairs of these spindle / hub assemblies. First, I have never gotten a bad hub from the junk yard. Lucky... maybe. I have also just bought new ones for piece of mind, and the fact that I didn't feel like cleaning old rusty parts. These hubs are sealed, and in stock form, have no way to lubricate them. Only (1) time have I ever seen grease inside the hub's housing. It was obvious it was applied to the outer edge of the hub's housing to aid in sealing out water. Some new hubs come with a rather thick o-ring, that most installers throw away. It's thickness, plus the backing plate, make installing the hub retaining bolts a little tougher. Some new hubs do not come with this o-ring, although most new hubs share the same part #513200, regardless of the name on the box. Curious if any of you guys who have sprung for the "premium" brand had the o-ring in the box. In my opinion, the preferred method of installation is to grease the hub's housing, install the o-ring to seal out water, and torque the bolts to 80 ft/lbs. Snip the ABS sensor flush, and torque it's bolt to 13 ft/lbs. Tightening these bolts correctly will help aid in sealing out water. The RiffRaff zerk fitting is nice. It's probably not necessary, but will also aid in keeping water out of the bearing. I will probably buy them for the Salon build I am working on now. To sum this up... bearing quality is probably similar no matter who's name is on the box. Keep water out to prolong the life, and as stated above... you'll hear/feel the bearing failing before it leaves you stranded.

Is the O ring supplied with the hub required?
I don't see any kind of O ring groove for an O ring to sit inside of on the blazer knuckle.

I haven't gotten my brake kit from kore3 yet.
Is it possible the brake dust delete shim is made to have an O ring sit in it?

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Get ones from your local auto parts house, utilize the lifetime warranty. They will sing to you before they lock up.

• Informative
  • Agree

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
1591111504603.png

I'm trying to understand what the deal is with the 'O' ring.
My knuckle doesn't have a place that an 'O' ring would set in.

I want to be sure I'm installing this hub correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor