Hummer: More Green Than Prius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Here's a fun article. It details why a Prius is not as green as a Hummer. I enjoyed this very much as an Anti-Environmentalist. I feel Environmentalists are ruining the planet, and am willing to buy a bumper sticker to that effect...:lol:

http://www.impactlab.com/2007/03/14/prius-outdoes-hummer-in-environmental-damage/

Also humorous, is a Prius vs a BMW M3 in this race, where the M3 has to keep up with a Prius driven flat out. Guess which is better on gas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o63BOVlzhc

Is that why EVERYONE I see driving a prius drives extra slow, because they are trying to get the great gas mileage they thought it would? 😀 How about the expected lifetime, 100000 miles!! GM can do better than that 😱 8) :lol:

85 Cutlass ,
That was an interesting article . And it really doesnt suprise me . Alot of the issues that they have supposedly addressed seem to make things worse . Kind of like all the new breakthroughs on drugs , and the ever so increasingly long list of side effects. They will cure a headache , or indegestion ........... But you may have temporary blindness , anal bleeding , become sterile , or loads of other things that sound to me like i would rather have a damn headache ! And whats up with all the wonder drugs that now all seem to have warnings about your liver ? If you have no liver problems and are prescribed the meds , makes me wonder what its doing to a healthy liver ? arrghhh I think Doc Baker fixed more illnesses With his washbasin of water or a cool rag than these guys did . He kept almost everyone in Walnut Grove alive just washing his hands......... Kudos to the anti-environmentalist feelings....... I loved George Carlins theory on these issues . :twisted:

That has been debunked here at Dust to Dumb.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/28/prius-vs-hummer-lifecycle-energy-use-debate-returns-and-the/

and

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/27/124134/961

I feel Environmentalists are helping the planet and I do have a bumper sticker on my car to that effect.

Hypermiling is what some of the Prius (Hybrid owners) are doing and can get as much as 90 MPG. I have seen it done. Some of it is a little extreme for my tastes, but I use some of the principles with my 1993 5 spd. Saturn and have improved my MPG a bit.

isn't it kind of pathetic that the pious owners have to try so hard to dis-prove that story? doesn't that tell you something? and i don't see anyone trying to disprove the amount of waste created and energy used to mine and refine the nickel. how about the energy needed to recycle the batteries? oh that's right, you CAN"T!!! suddenly the story is starting to make sense. there was another, similar story awhile back where they listed the top 100 green cars. guess what? the prius didn't make it. but the 2500 silverados did!
you want to prove 90mpg from a prius to me? put a camera on the dash and drive for one tank, in the city, back roads and highway, then fill it up. and no plug-in mods allowed. considering that a prius and a diesel patriot--that's right an SUV, just went head to head and the patriot won, you better start practicing your car pushing skills.

Tony_SS said:
I love the new hypermiling cult we have going on today... These green enviro snobs love to have their little MPG piss contest... :roll:

Driving is something I enjoy and I'm not going to take the fun out of it so save $2.38 that day.

I definately agree with you there. Im happy having fun driving my 18 mpg daily driver. I have saved tons of money by just knowing how to work on it. If something goes wrong with a hybrid, have fun trying to fix it your self!! If your not carefull, those cars can kill you in a second with the electricity they put out.

those cars can kill you in a second
i had to replace the rear shocks in a prius, not fun. you have to strip out everything that covers that 600v battery and then sit on it's metal cover to get to the damn bolts. yeah this is safe. a little bit of forethought would have moved the mounts about 6in and made the job safe and easy. of course these are the same idiot engineers that ran a 600v wire right by the oil dipstick. no one would go there.

I thought I heard something about the regenerative brakes being dangerous to change also. Not sure about the details.

jatguit said:
That has been debunked here at Dust to Dumb.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08/28/prius-vs-hummer-lifecycle-energy-use-debate-returns-and-the/

and

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/27/124134/961

I feel Environmentalists are helping the planet and I do have a bumper sticker on my car to that effect.

Hypermiling is what some of the Prius (Hybrid owners) are doing and can get as much as 90 MPG. I have seen it done. Some of it is a little extreme for my tastes, but I use some of the principles with my 1993 5 spd. Saturn and have improved my MPG a bit.

And the environmentalists, are the reason that in alot of states if you decide to swap out your little, slower then most cavilers 3.8 for a 350 your car is illeagal and can not be licensed, or will be impounded. Sorry, its cool if you like going slow but it's not for me. Oh yeah, and they just might have contributed to the big blocks makeing something like 150 horse through the late 70's thru the 80's (gotta blame someone right?). So I got this story to tell. I was on my way home from work today with the nose up, balls to the walls, something like about 8grand on the tach and the damndest thing happened.....what the hell.....what was that??? Speed bump??? Nope, some jackass in a metro gettin his 50MPG!!!!! Didn't even get a scuff!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Not a true story :wink: ) Long live lotsa horsepower and frame twisting torque. If it can't have a V8 it shouldn't be on the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor